Author Topic: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along  (Read 30466 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:49 am »
I’m building a bow with a very specific purpose.  That is my dream of taking an elk in the great Rocky Mountains of Colorado.  I hunted there for the first time last year with a compound bow and though I didn’t have any shot opportunities it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  I love whitetail hunting but just not sure it can touch the greatness of a DYI elk hunt in the mountains.  This year I’m going back with a good friend and we are bringing self bows!  If I’m successful in killing an elk not only will it be my first elk, it will by my first self bow large game kill period.  Kill or not I know it will surely be another great adventure that I’ll remember for a lifetime. 

My current hunting bow is a 52# Osage that shoots 500g arrows at a bit less than 160 FPS.  In my opinion it’s the best bow I’ve built to date.  However, I figure with the size of elk it wouldn’t hurt to have a bow with a little more punch.  My current quest is to build a low 60s# Osage bow that is as efficient as possible.  I’d love it to shoot my 500g arrows at 180 FPS and reach the 200 yard mark but I’ll be quite happy with anything over 160.  I definitely appreciate any guidance that can help me make this bow as efficient as possible.  I am not in a hurry and I want to do this right and have a great learning experience! 

Here are a few things that I think may help me improve the efficiency of this bow.
1)   Build a form that can add a bit more reflex to this bow
2)   Go for more of an elliptical tiller that I’ve heard can generate more speed
3)   Take my time with the tiller especially the last 8 inches which I tend to rush
4)   Shooting in the bow better to ensure the limbs are in synch

I hope you enjoy this build and I’m all ears if you have advice along the way.  I’m sure I’m going to have a blast building it!  Let’s start out by getting our blood pumping with this pic of the 296 bull my buddy killed on our hunt last year.  Took us 11 hours to pack that thing out.  The experience was beyond words.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

Re: CO Elk Osage Bow Build Along
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:49:06 am »
Decision 1: The Bow Layout

This is the Osage stave that I hope to transform into my efficient CO elk hunting bow.  I chased the top heartwood ring and it looks solid.  The stave is 72 inches long.  Now it’s time to first put pencil to the wood and choose a layout that will best help me achieve my goals.  I plan on having a handle and an arrow rest, which is my preference.  For total length I’m thinking 66 inches for the 28 inch draw. 
The rest is up for discussion.  Beyond the fade I’m considering starting a little wide, maybe close to 2 inches, and continue that for about 10 inches then a gradual taper to the tips.  I’m guessing that it will be good to get bend in the limbs as far out as possible as opposed to several inches of the outer limbs being non-bending. 

What do you think of this design?  Is this consistent with the design of the fastest most efficient bows you’ve seen?  What layout do you feel maximizes speed?
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:58:13 am »
52 pounds, 500 grain arrow, 160 fps still enough to take an elk ... But hey either way can't wait to see what ya come up with for your elk hunt
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:28 am »
Clean looking stave, what little twist she has can be corrected as you bake in the reflex. 

Would you consider something like a bendy handled bow just a bit more than double your draw length?  A bow like that will work well in brushy cover and bendy handles just seem to be a bit quieter in my experience.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 01:02:28 am »
Just noticed the early/late ratio.  Oh my!

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:13:20 am »
Hi JW, I prefer the feel of a handle and shelf.  It's good to know my deer bow will do the trick if needed.  Can you please explain the early/late ratio comment mroe?  Is a certain ratio better for speed?  thanks man!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 01:25:19 am »
Look at the butt end of your stave.  See those skinny little light colored lines....that's the early wood.  It is punky, soft, and has neither strength in compression nor tension.  The darker bands are the late wood.  There is your strength in the bow. The more early wood you have the more difficult it is to get a higher efficiency bow. 

There are exceptions, but exceptions are not the rule.  You got a nice stave, don't let some greedy sod like me talk you out of it!   >:D

Offline DGF

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 05:01:41 am »
I love a good 'built to hunt' bow! Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 06:16:22 am »
Good looking stave!  Best of luck on your hunt.  Nothing like the first self bow score on big game.  JW is right about that early/late ratio on the growth rings.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:11 am »
If you want a shorter bow but higher weight and 28". Try using 1.5" fades and 4" bulbous handle, and make them suckers work right to the fade, no stiffys. You could easily do a 62" ntn bow that has a stiff handle and shelf. The short fades and STRAIGHT tips will give you almost 28" of limb per side. Start with 3" of reflex. Im wiping finish on a 50# plus bow just like it right now. It held plenty of reflex and is "short" compared to my 64-68" bows I typically hunt with. Ill post it in a few days, but knowing you this one will be done already...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:12:14 am »
Will follow along for sure.

I also was fortunate enough to go on a diy elk hunt in colorado and know the feeling well of packing out an elk on your back 3 miles one way to the truck. My buddy was also the one who killed. I came close to dropping the string on a beauty, but not quite close enough. That was 2008 and the memories are as vivid as if it was yesterday. Good luck to you.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
I'll be watching with interest to see what you decide and how you go about it.  Good luck with it!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:31 am »
That piece of osage will make an elk killing bow for sure, take your time on it, hunt hard and you'll be enjoying some of the finest backstraps ever eaten. I don't feel qualified to give design advice, everyone has their own preference and as long as you execute your chosen design well it'll get er' done. I'll be watching with interest though, would love to do another elk hunt myself in the near future.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:18 am »
This look is like it is going to be a fun one to follow.  I'll be waiting for progress reports :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:21 am »
Wow, nice stave. I'll be watching closely and working along with a bow I'm trying to make with very similar wood and specs. My thinking was about 1 1/2" at the fades like stated above. Good luck with your hunt when that sweet wood turns into your bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.