Author Topic: Looking at a hike...Appalachian Trail in Virginia  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Parnell

Looking at a hike...Appalachian Trail in Virginia
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »
I'm currently planning a trip to do 120 miles of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia this June when work let's out.  I'm figuring about 10 days.  I'm looking at Central Virginia starting near Roanoke and probably heading on the northbound trail through the George Washington National Forest area.  Few things I'm writing about...

1.  Anybody gone through here before and have any heads ups or recommendations?
2.  Currently I'm going alone.  Anybody out there want to talk about going for a walk?
3.  Any arguments for a section that would be a better choice?  I don't want to do the most difficult elevation changes and I think this area is a happy medium and not too much foot traffick.

Thanks,

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

Re: Looking at a hike...Appalachian Trail in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »
Sounds like a fun journey! I've seen a documentary on the whole trail and it was very interesting.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »
Chickenhawk has hiked a few thousand miles in his life, hopefully he chimes in. Not sure if he has touched the Appy in Va.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

HikingViking

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »
Thats great!  I have thru-hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in 2010.  All of VA is beautiful and has some of the more pleasant rolling hills.  It doesn't have extreme ups and downs like in GA, New England or Maine.  If you are starting near Roanoke, make sure you include McAfee's Knob and Dragons Tooth, two of the best views in the region.  Also, this is much further south, but Graysons Highlands in the Southwest Corner of Virginia is incredible and is true highland geography, very unique on the east coast.

Have a great hike!  Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Happy Trails and Good Hiking!

Side note, I will be around computers for the next month, then I'm off with my fiance to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada, followed by a thru-hike of the Te Araroa in New Zealand....5,000 miles in 12 months, these feet are gonna be tired!  Woohoo! 

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:20:37 pm »
The AT thru Virginia covers some of the most beautiful scenery ever !
Be careful of that hill they call the Preist it seems staight up or down depending on which side your on.
But what does a flatlander know ?
One thing I may never forget was standing on top of it and being eye to eye with that fighter jet pilot! When he saluted me I uncovered my ears and gave him a 2 thumbs up!
Memories aint they something!
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:46:07 am »
Its been over 30 years since I walked it. Loved Virginia. Just make sure to mail supplies to yourself at intervals. It will decrease the weight you have to tote. Be prepared for anything, and rent a SAT phone...Walking alone is never a safe bet, but having Coms in case of trouble is a definite plus...Stay safe, have fun, and bring lots of extra socks. The old style green wool Army socks are the best..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:33:48 am »
My sister in law is a marathoner in her 60's and she will be making the hike soon for the first time. We will be shipping her stuff along the way. Not sure about the details, but she is exited.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:10:48 am »
Thats great!  I have thru-hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in 2010.  All of VA is beautiful and has some of the more pleasant rolling hills.  It doesn't have extreme ups and downs like in GA, New England or Maine.  If you are starting near Roanoke, make sure you include McAfee's Knob and Dragons Tooth, two of the best views in the region.  Also, this is much further south, but Graysons Highlands in the Southwest Corner of Virginia is incredible and is true highland geography, very unique on the east coast.

Have a great hike!  Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Happy Trails and Good Hiking!

Side note, I will be around computers for the next month, then I'm off with my fiance to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada, followed by a thru-hike of the Te Araroa in New Zealand....5,000 miles in 12 months, these feet are gonna be tired!  Woohoo!

Wow, that's some serious business!  Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 10:12:33 am »
Its been over 30 years since I walked it. Loved Virginia. Just make sure to mail supplies to yourself at intervals. It will decrease the weight you have to tote. Be prepared for anything, and rent a SAT phone...Walking alone is never a safe bet, but having Coms in case of trouble is a definite plus...Stay safe, have fun, and bring lots of extra socks. The old style green wool Army socks are the best..

Yup, I was thinking the same thing with the SAT phone.  Tough to find someone who can take the time to do something like this and I've been wanting to do this for a long time.
1’—>1’

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »
I live about 15-20 min frim the App. Trail and George Washington National Forest. I've often wanted to take a day or weekend hike on the trail but the wife is scared ill run into some not so nice people .
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:58 am »
If yins was doing it any other month but June I'd come down, n at least do a few days with ya...

IF your hearts set on Virginia(new England's the best n wood be my choice) then +1 for the Grayson highlands section...also like guy mentioned the section that contains the priest n three ridges etc is some fine topography...if going north to south the priest contains one of the biggest and fastest elevations gains in the state...also as mentioned mcafees n dragons tooth...there's lots of nice sections in Virginia on the AT and represents the state well..unlike it does in my state n a few others where it crosses...there's also Shenandoah....BUT if solitude is important then stay away from there...lots o people and skyline drive is annoying....but its a nice park when visited during the right times of year(like winter..lol)

Have ya looked into any sections along north carolina/Tennessee? Nuttin wrong there either....heck even northern Georgia has a nice long section and it wood be not as far a drive for ya from Florida..??

But we all know new England's best hands down ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:39 am »
I live about 15-20 min frim the App. Trail and George Washington National Forest. I've often wanted to take a day or weekend hike on the trail but the wife is scared ill run into some not so nice people .

Seriously?  Is that an issue in the area or is she just worrying too much? 
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:37 am »
If yins was doing it any other month but June I'd come down, n at least do a few days with ya...

IF your hearts set on Virginia(new England's the best n wood be my choice) then +1 for the Grayson highlands section...also like guy mentioned the section that contains the priest n three ridges etc is some fine topography...if going north to south the priest contains one of the biggest and fastest elevations gains in the state...also as mentioned mcafees n dragons tooth...there's lots of nice sections in Virginia on the AT and represents the state well..unlike it does in my state n a few others where it crosses...there's also Shenandoah....BUT if solitude is important then stay away from there...lots o people and skyline drive is annoying....but its a nice park when visited during the right times of year(like winter..lol)

Have ya looked into any sections along north carolina/Tennessee? Nuttin wrong there either....heck even northern Georgia has a nice long section and it wood be not as far a drive for ya from Florida..??

But we all know new England's best hands down ;)

Thanks for the good heads up, Chris.  I've not spent much time in Virginia and wanted to give something new a try.  It would be really nice to get up to New England, though.  It's beautiful up there in June...
1’—>1’

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »
Yeup. Trail ran right through My Dads farm. We had a shelter and water spigot next to it. Note invited folks down to the farm for fresh milk and washing machine use. Few took us up on it, but met some nice folks over the years. Dad sold the farm in '87 and put the land in trust to the State. Shelter is still there, but water has been cut off...Lots of bear, deer, moose and beaver to see..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 12:06:04 am »

Seriously?  Is that an issue in the area or is she just worrying too much?

No more of an issue than anywhere else. The only time I ever ran into not so nice people on my limited AT hikes were at the shelters close to the roads. Even then, they were just partying and rowdy, not necessarily looking for trouble.

Patrick