Author Topic: Osage 2x4's Question. (pic heavy)  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Bearded Mountain Man

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
Osage 2x4's Question. (pic heavy)
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:04:54 pm »
Okay so about 2 years ago I was given these Osage 2x4's. (The one on the left is 75 1/2" and the one on the right is 76 3/4".) They were seasoned for about 3 years before I got them. They have some wind shakes and bug holes, but seem like someone could still use them to make bows out of. I am not experienced at all in bow making yet, and I am wondering if you experienced bowyers had any insight on how difficult it would be to actually turn these into something shootable. I am thinking about posting them on the Trading Post, but again I don't know if they are even usable. Any insight would be appreciated. As I took the pictures I rotated them to the right. Hopefully you can get a good idea of what shape they are in.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:45:23 pm by Bearded Mountan Man »
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity" -Henry David Thoreau

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
Re: Osage 2x4's Question. (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »
here are a few more.

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:07:22 pm »
and the ends.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:09:14 pm »
The larger one u may be able to chase a ring on
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »
It is tough to see how the grain runs on those type of boards. If you can try and chase a ring on them and then you should be able to see how the grain runs on them. Might be something you could back with something also. Bamboo ect.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:07 pm »
Forget about chasing a ring. Those are boards... rough cut boards, but boards none the less. Try and see where you've got some straight grain, and cut out some belly lams. Get your hands on some nice straight grained maple, ash or hickory backing strips and make some laminated bows. There's definitely bows in there, and more than one.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:29:58 pm »
Forget about chasing a ring. Those are boards... rough cut boards, but boards none the less. Try and see where you've got some straight grain, and cut out some belly lams. Get your hands on some nice straight grained maple, ash or hickory backing strips and make some laminated bows. There's definitely bows in there, and more than one.
+1
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:10:07 pm »
I mill my own lumber, and that quarter-sawn you got will make fine self bows. And a bunch of them. If ya dont like the grain then back them. 
rich

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:23 pm »
I may be able to use a friends band saw and then I can maybe get something out of it. I think making some lams would be a good idea if I can pull it off. Thanks!