Author Topic: OS bark  (Read 895 times)

Don Case

OS bark
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:16:27 pm »
Starting a new thread. Other than collecting in the winter, what would be the keys to keeping the bark on an OS bow. I'm thinking that bow length and draw length would be important. There must be a certain radius that will cause the bark to crack and separate. Like a long bow with a short draw length would keep the bark. I guess the amount of crown would be important. Any thoughts?

Offline bow101

Re: OS bark
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:23:57 pm »
"must be a certain radius that will cause the bark to crack and separate"  Would have to agree on that one but never tried it.  I know a few guys glue on Cherry bark for backing but to leave it on totally....................... ???  not sure it will work.  Even if it worked for a short draw lenght;  you would scarifice performance.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:32:26 pm »
The amount of crown does not matter.
For the best results to keep the bark on cut in the coldest part of winter.
If you heat treat too much the bark will crack and break of in some areas.
But other than that, should stay on no problem, hit with steel wool and it makes a wonderful deep brown when finished:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »
Ocean spray is amazing wood, but the bark is really tough to get off! Leave it on if you don't mind the look. If you don't mind the effort I have used a scraper, but spent lots of time, and lots of work getting it all off. The wood is worth the effort!
Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:39:39 am »
Not sure on OS but would suspect after a while it would season,get brittle and crack,I have tried it on small Hickory saplings and it stayed for a while and looked really cool ,but after a year or so it started cracking, I guess you cold try and see.
Only thing if it does crack it could take some of the good back with it.Just guessing here but most wood it won't work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good