Author Topic: maple veneer  (Read 4123 times)

Offline HighEagle

maple veneer
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »
My brother in law sent me these birds eye and  flame/quilted maple veneers 10 of each. Can I use them for backing? Belly wood?  46" long x 3/16" thick Or how would you all use them? bow making or not.. Thanks Chuck

[imghttp://][/img]

[imghttp://][/img]

[/URL][/img]
Armstrong, BC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: maple veneer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »
Generally figure woods aren't good for backings because the grain is severely violated. You could laminate strips together to build up the belly but is maple good enough in compression for this? I haven't worked much maple at all so I don't know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:40 pm »
U could send me some of that Birdseye for knife handles ;0)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:32:21 pm »
Those are beautiful veneers, but are of no structural use in bow making.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:52:37 pm »
Good idea, Blaflair knife handles would you laminate?  The Brother in law lives outside Portland,ME he had a shop full.

Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »
U can glue something of a different color under it and leave the round Birdseye when ur done. Looks like it's framed

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »
This is a cherry and curly maple handle

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 01:30:30 am »
Decide your backing....whatever...hickory, maple,oak..ect. Once you have your bow about tillered out you could add the thin backing, it will not effect the "true" backing underneath.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:51 am »
Decide your backing....whatever...hickory, maple,oak..ect. Once you have your bow about tillered out you could add the thin backing, it will not effect the "true" backing underneath.

VMB

No it won't affect the backing underneath but it would peel apart rather alarmingly once bend. This sort of wood is heavily violated.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:19:14 am »
Knife handles or sandwich two veneers with a contrast cernter slab and use for risers...makes a cool I-beam look in the sight window cut out.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

VMB

No it won't affect the backing underneath but it would peel apart rather alarmingly once bend. This sort of wood is heavily violated.

I would disagree.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/31820
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:49 pm »
The bow u used as an example is veneer. Super thin. The 3/16" piece would fail on backing. Unless he ground them super thin. In turn wasting most of the wood. 

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »
Thanks All,
 Might give them all a try. Heck I have 20 sheets
 HighEagle
Armstrong, BC

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:21 am »
While I agree that they probably wouldn't be much use in the structural parts of the bow, the veneers would make very nice accent touches.  In my case I used a leopard/lacewood veneer to cover up a short longitudinal crack in a bamboo backed mollegabet at one of the levers.  My other half shoots the bow (very well indeed), and people always mention the finish pieces like this.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:34 am »
In fact I found an old photo...
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719