Author Topic: Dead osage  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Dead osage
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:57 pm »
So I spent my morning hiking in the wood aroundy house. Carried this old cut osage log back with me. 12' long, 6" round. I don't recommend this. There's a few bows in it!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Dead osage
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:54:52 pm »
Show us that purdy yellow wood inside.  Show off the ring ratio and what not.  Don't be a tease!! :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:47:32 pm »
After I carried that thing home I had no hump, I originally brought my sawzall and my batteries were dead. So I said screw not and carried the whole thing! My neck and shoulders let me know that was a great idea  :-\ ill post pics once I get it cut. Hopefully she's got some gold in her.

When I cut with the little battery I had it was a nice deep orange. Should be pretty

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 06:15:40 pm »
After I carried that thing home I had no hump, I originally brought my sawzall and my batteries were dead. So I said screw not and carried the whole thing! My neck and shoulders let me know that was a great idea  :-\ ill post pics once I get it cut. Hopefully she's got some gold in her.

When I cut with the little battery I had it was a nice deep orange. Should be pretty

after the haul i made, my shoulders were bruised.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:32:14 pm »
You bunch of wimps  ;D

Just kidding.  I know how heavy a chunk of osage can be.  I hope you find some good wood inside that piece.  Hopefully the bugs and checks didn't turn it into fire wood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:00 pm »
When I looked it over I didn't see any bug damage. And it doesn't looks like it has too many bad checks

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »
I always tell people never to become a bowyer it's horrible nothing illustrates this better than carrying fresh cut wood to the truck under each arm ( both of which are on fire ) and then having to turn around for more, and then having to split seal and debark each one, and then discovering a colony of carpenter ants in two of them essentially ruining two logs (because fungus had taken hold inside with the ants) as well as throwing big a$$ ants every where. But it has it's perks you think about bows all the time and cling to random pieces of wood like they are gold
I like free stuff.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:43 pm »
Yeah I didn't have a truck. Shoulder the whole way. It was cut along time ago. Do I guess u wouldn't call it dead. Just left behind. It's solid. Man is it heavy. It's seasoned already, just not dry. Lol I'll post some picks tonorrow if I get it split up

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 11:54:38 pm »
Whoever cut it probably cut two, packed one out, then said screw that, I'm not doing that again. ;D

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10:56 am »
Lol. It's an old hedgerow with a snowmobile trail in it. So I imagine it's from when then made the trail. There were 3 leaning on a tree too. I have got those two and this one. One more. And then I gotta go talk the guy into letting me cut the dead ones. Ones nice and straight. He has a truck with a trail back there. So keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:16 am »
I always tell people never to become a bowyer    But it has it's perks you think about bows all the time and cling to random pieces of wood like they are gold

I don't even make bows and I have a stash of staves I have been hoarding for 20 yrs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:24 am »
Ya I always tell the guys joaking,we do this and call it fun,if I had to work like this at work I would try and find another job. ;)  Congrats ,hope you get some good wood out of the deal. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:55 am »
I have found that when you have a nice stash of osage you actually feel wealthy. I have been hording a bunch of the stuff for a long time, it's just like having money in the bank.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:01 am »
Well I split it out mostly. Until my sawzall died again. The rings are tight like a tiga! I don't pay attention to the ratio and all. I just try and make a bendy stick. The staves don't look too bad at all. I have one more to cut off and I got 3 staves. I could have gotten four but there's a couple knots in one and I don't wanna be greedy. The wood is a dark deep orange. Pretty stuff. Split super easy. It's defiantly seasoned. It was buried by snow so it's wet. But it wasn't laying right on the ground. So I think that helped it a little.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:04:50 pm »
Love the color, dark osage is special,at least to me it is,rings don't look that bad either once you get down a bit.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good