Author Topic: writing on a bow  (Read 1836 times)

Offline JEB

writing on a bow
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
I covered the wood with wipe on poly.  I used a fine marking sharpie last night and today the ink is still wet.

Your thoughts on what to use to mark a bow and what do you use to coat it?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: writing on a bow
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:19:07 am »
I use a fine tip sharpie also but do it before I put on any sealer,I think others use Indian ink but the sharpie has always worked fine for me.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:52:50 am »
X2 pappy

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:57:36 am »
I used a fine sharper but the ink didn't dry after sitting over night.  The ink was still wet in the morning.  I must have 8 coats of wipe on poly on the wood.

Maybe light sand the spot first ??

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:23 am »
I gave up on Sharpies 100 bows ago, I personally got tired of making nice bows just to mess them up with a crappy pen that fades and skips. Try a Nano-Liner from an art store, $1.79. Its bold, dark, smooth to use and can be sealed with anything within minutes and doesn't fade at all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:08 am »
That's what I do, if I get sealer on the fads where I write,well where Miss Joanie writes,she has me sand or steel wool before she writes on it. I know lots do it other ways and I am sure will Chime in.Will has changed the way he does it.I am just careful with the first coat of sealer and after that no problem. Sharpie fine tip is easy/does a good job and I always have them laying around,nothing special,my shop is a comunity shop  ;) :) so it is hard for me to keep anything special,so I try and keep it simple as I can. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »
I used to use a Sharpie but it always fades over time for me. Now I use India ink and a homemade quill or bamboo pen or store bought calligraphy pen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »
I tried fine tip sharpies on a couple bows and disliked the results. I'll never use them again. I used Jelly Roll pens for years with good results, but now use Faber-Castell India ink pens.

I write on the bare wood, though often it's dyed, then spray a misting coat of Thunderbird over the lettering, allow it to dry for 1/2 - 1 hour, then commence spraying.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:36 pm »
I use a few coats of tru oil, then write with the sharpie, and then cover the writing with water based poly, then continue to build tru oil coats over the whole.  The tru oil over the sharpie direct will cause the sharpie to dissolve away.