Author Topic: Poor J.W, Halverson  (Read 7620 times)

Ahnlaashock

Re: Poor J.W, Halverson
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:47 am »
They used to hold a January or February rendezvous in Old Mines.  We were all out there, and it got to 6 during the day, and dropped well below at night.  I drove home for the night.  Most there slept in the cabins together to stay warm. 
Two guys walked into the area carrying packs, like they had just stripped them off their horses.   They lashed a piece of canvas tarp to some sticks to make a lean to, and built a fire out in front of it.  They spent the night in it. 
Looked like the kind of fun I like watching other people have, to me! 
They said they would build up the fire, get toasty warm, burrow into their blankets, and then sometime later wake up freezing, and do it all over again. 
I understand that it can be done, but I am not sure at may age, that I still remember why! 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:20 am »
Trick to living in S Florida in the summer is being within a couple miles of the water.  It's breezy and more and more from the weather reports it is better weather here than "up north".  My least favorite weather is when I lived up there and there would be that overcast still muggy garbage that would last for a week.  Yuck.

Ahhh, grass is always greener for so many people!  I like it here.  Just could do with a few less snowbirds.

You ain't kiddin about the number of Canadians, either!  Sheesh!  Holy Ontario invasion!  There are worse folks to have around though, I suppose...like NY's!!!

If I see one more fart from NY City area whining about the quality of their Mortadella from the deli workers at Publix I'm going to spit on their shoes.  I can't stand that type of garbage.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:55:38 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 04:45:31 pm »
Well, the other guy pulled out last nite...so it is just me. 

And then this morning the hammer fell.  The other co-founder of the Black Hills Raptor Center is down sick with the creeping crud going around and I inherited a program at the Safari Club International Banquet.  Since we are counting on several members of this organization to make large supportive donations to our capital fund drive in the coming year.....you guessed it.  I get to go on the rubber chicken circuit.  (For those of you that have attended any of the conservation organization banquets like Turkey Federation, Peasants Forever, Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, then you know what I mean by the rubber chicken circuit!)  And since our organization has a zero tolerance policy for drinking and handling raptors, I get to drink seltzer water.  Waaaaah, I want a scotch!  At least that will keep me from spending too much money on the silent auction.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:06 pm »
Yup that Elm Hall place can get a bit warm!!!

I have been fortunate to live within blocks of Lake Michigan where we get very mild weather 8 months out of the year.

I would like to think that most of what has been written is with a smile and a bit of joking around, at least on my part it has,  but would like to add that there is NO place that can compare with the United States of America.  I think we have the best place to live in the entire world and wouldn't give it up for anything.
JEB;
Like I said in an earlier post; When I go through Customs, I almost get a tear when the Officer hands me my Passport, and says, "Welcome home". :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »
Well, the other guy pulled out last nite...so it is just me. 

And then this morning the hammer fell.  The other co-founder of the Black Hills Raptor Center is down sick with the creeping crud going around and I inherited a program at the Safari Club International Banquet.  Since we are counting on several members of this organization to make large supportive donations to our capital fund drive in the coming year.....you guessed it.  I get to go on the rubber chicken circuit.  (For those of you that have attended any of the conservation organization banquets like Turkey Federation, Peasants Forever, Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, then you know what I mean by the rubber chicken circuit!)  And since our organization has a zero tolerance policy for drinking and handling raptors, I get to drink seltzer water.  Waaaaah, I want a scotch!  At least that will keep me from spending too much money on the silent auction.

JW;
I was feeling for ya Bud. As cold as it's going to be out there this weekend I was hoping you would come up with a reason/excuse not to hang out in a cave with a bunch of guys and wool blankets.Drink you a scotch before you go, it loosens the tongue. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:25 pm »

Well J.W. The Man upstairs is looking out for you. ;)  I was talking to my Buddy, who is working in Havre, Montana, and he said it is expected to get down to anywhere from 26 to 30 below, with a wind chill making it  40 or so below. :o :o  Five minutes of exposed skin, is frost bite! :P :(  Don't know how bad it will be down your way, but none the less it just might be a blessing in disguise.  There is always the next week.  Besides there is supposed to be another weather front behind this one.  ;) Well there is just so many avenues to go with the rubber chicken bit, but being a family oriented site, I will restrain, withhold any crude, and crass remarks regarding said chicken.  Wouldn't want you to get all "choked" up and all.  You know not being allowed to partake in a nice Scotch.  :( :'(  Well, will you have the birds in the room with you?  Are you going to have to pay a "Pet" fee?  Maybe it is, a good idea not to allow any drinking while handling the raptors.  Wouldn't be too good of an idea, to have one of the bigger ones, swoop down and catch some diner's lamb chop, as you grab it and toss it in the air.  Would be great photo op and all, but the diner would be sure to complain about using her chop.  You know how those donors can be.  Just no sense of humor.  Well I hope you can smooze em, and dazzle them with the birds, and baffle them with Bull #*&%, and get them to donate a bundle.  I would suggest waiting till they are on their third or fourth round of drinks, and let the ladies, get close to the birds, for a photo op, and say something, like, "Wow, I have never seen Patty Cake, and Butter Cup so calm around another person before."  "You must be a very nice person, who appreciates birds, and wildlife."  "They can tell you know"  "Now if you will just ask your husband to be generous, Patty Cake, and Butter Cup, will be able to eat more than twice this week."  " I have been trying to share my own food with the birds, but they aren't too keen on fish heads, and rice."  "most of their food, is taken from my own food budget."  Excuse me, I am a little dizzy.  There that is better, I think the food from this banquet, has helped me a little, I normally don't recover that fast.  I hope I didn't eat too fast, it is just that I care so much for these magnificent birds, that I can't help but give up some of my food, so they can have food.  Yes Sir, just make the check, out to Black Hills Raptor Center .....  yes sir, you are correct, any amount will surely help, but a little more will go a long way to help us to continue help these magnificent birds, oh thank you M'am, you heard her Reggie, double that amount!  >:(   Yeah, something like that, J.W.  ;)  That would be good for the center.  And who knows, "you", might get a gift card for one of those Omaha steak boxes. ;)  Seriously, I hope you do well, and Birds do well also, and look quite regal, and proud, maybe even a screech, from one of the Hawks, and a couple of hoots from one or two of the Owls. ;)  Showmanship, J.W. Showmanship. ;) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »
I like the way you think, Wayne.  In fact, I would like to hire you as one of our Blue Ribbon Fundraising Team Members.  We are actually beginning a capital campaign to raise the money to begin construction in 2015.  I'm just an animated bird perch, someone like you will be worth a great deal more to the organization!  And as secretary to the Board of Directors, I will personally guarantee your pay scale STARTS at 200% of my pay grade.  Did I mention we are an all volunteer organization? 

[/quote]
JEB;
Like I said in an earlier post; When I go through Customs, I almost get a tear when the Officer hands me my Passport, and says, "Welcome home". :)
[/quote]

Those are two of the most beautiful words there are.

Don't worry about me overnighting in this kind of weather alone.  I know better.  I have done it, but I had a damn good dog to keep the frost at bay, and I was younger and more foolish then. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:14 am »

Dang, J.W., I thank you for the generous offer, but I am already making that much teaching the Clown class to the Firefighters, and Florida Forest Service people, and then being with the Children's Burn foundation, of Florida.  I don't know if I could handle any more pay like that. :o

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 12:26:07 pm »
Wayne, you remind me of the two old bachelor Norwegian wheat farmers up in North Dakota:

Ole says to Sven, "Yumpi'n yiminy, we are losing money on every truckload of grain we send to town!  You know what dat means?"
Sven replies, "Yah, I tink so....we gotta buy a bigger truck!"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:22 am »

Ya know J.W., yoost because you don mooved ta South Dakota, ya don't have ta yump on da band wagon and make da North Dakotian jokes now ya know, be sides, I know Sven and Ole'.  And dey are some pretty smart boys dey are now.  Dey wouldn't yoost get a bigger truck, dey would get two bigger trucks!  Ya know vun fer each of dem, den dey could make twice as much money!  Ya see da logical tinkin in dat now don't cha. ya try dat joke at da banquet now, and see what ya get fer da donations!  Maybe ya get donated some North Dakotian lumps about yer head and shoulders. ;)  Are you at the convention now, or is it later?  Good luck with that.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
Yeah, they are a couple of fart smellers....I mean, Smart Fellers.

I heard they are diversifying since wheat prices are down and they are going to try "niche market farming".  They are going to raise donuts and have bought a truckload of Cheerios for seed!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:40 pm »
See what too much cold weather will do; sick, sick, puppies. ::) ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
See what too much cold weather will do; sick, sick, puppies. ::) ::)
[/quote

That and drinking out of the wrong cup.  The one used for heating up the bird's mice. :P ;)

Wayne