Author Topic: vice?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline 4dog

vice?
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:43 am »
what is the name of the box vice that stands on a pole??
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: vice?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:44 am »
Stave press
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:57 am »
lol   i have tried every name i could think of for this...cept that one!!!   lol thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:12 am »
Got me a handmade charmer from a friend. It took first place from my Shinto for the best tool in my shop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
got my brother in law wrkn on one...he welds...i do not...any ideas on steel thickness for box and plate just to get me started...oh and the press plate??? thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:37:42 pm »
Looks to be 3/8" to me. 1/4" might work to.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:58 pm »
dang dude...you are johnny on the spot...whatcha doin??  just sittin around waitin on questions for this...lmbo??!!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »
pearly is always good for quick info

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »
pearly is always good for quick info

Thought you were gonna say pearly is always good for a quickie  :o

Yup no better vice out there that i know for bow making than a stave press design type vice

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »
lmao i nearly did but then i reread it. idk drummer boy that well

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:59:28 pm »
Its been sloooooow at work lately, so Im always on here poking around be my usual sarcastic northern azz.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »
Maybe u need to move closer jordo and ya would  :laugh:

There is one thing you need to be careful with these....and I've seen a home made one,and the one that was patented have a problem....but I'm almost positive it was due to too much operator error...there's a ball that allows the plate to swivel and be on angle,and the receiving end of those had cracked n failed....the reason for this is because people are used to a common vice and cranking it as tight as they can...well the physics of this design is more friction held and it doesn't need to be cranked down as tight as a standard bench top vice does..it doesn't take much to hold the  wood...and secondly you MUST use a similar height wood wedge to keep the plate parallel and not on a severe angle...if you don't that ball will crush the wall of the receiving end on the plate and the plate will end up coming off eventually...I've had mine for awhile now and have used it properly and its still like new to this day..I take mine to shoots and let others use it as well..I just make sure to educate them on the proper use of one so they don't ignorantly and naively wear that piece of hardware down..so if used right they are a great thing..but that's the key to using them correctly...

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:21 pm »
I've had it in the back of my mind to make one. I was wondering about the size. The commercial ones look like they are about 6" square. Is there a reason to make it this big? I don't even think I could lift a stave that big. :P I was thinking more in the 3-4" size. I'm going to pick up some thrown tire thread of the highway for the jaw liners or do you think that might leave a mark?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:25 pm »
thanks BH very good info!

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:17 pm »
I made 3-4 of these
I got the 6 in square tubing as a drop from a local steel supplier.
Kevin