Author Topic: arrow penetration  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Little John

arrow penetration
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:17 pm »
I was gifted a bunch of industrial insulation blankets from work about the size of deer and elk kill zone areas, I thought I would create a walk thru course  by hanging them from tree limbs on a trail thru our property, still like the idea lot kind of like the old national field archers courses all kind of targets at different distances. could draw small game on them or bullseyes with a magic marker. Any way tested one hanging from a fence wire, it stops field pointed arrows with about half arrow penetration but broad headed arrows shot completely thru the target and about 50-75 feet more skittering across the ground. Any way it impressed me with the penetration potential and lethality of hunting arrows.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: arrow penetration
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:45:12 am »
Yep,I have had some ideas like that ,that didn't work out like I planed,when I first got into bows I thought roving through the woods shooting at trees would be a great idea and fun  ??? found out real quick that is was fun if you like making arrows. ;) ;D ;D ;D
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:21 pm »
If you switch to blunts, or even file the tips of the field points, you will have your arrows thump the blanket and then drop to the ground.  That way a second shot at the same target has no chance of breaking the first arrow.

Be fun to set up a roving course in the woods like that!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:45:40 am »
Little John,
          I made a 20 target course and used it for several years to sharpen up on range estimation, and to learn to ignore the topography. (shooting from one side of a small coolley to the other, and up and down will really mess with you for a while). It's an absolute hoot, and will really improve your hunting shots.
        I made my targets from from old brown gunny-sacks filled with scrap pit-liner (probably any plastic sacks would work) do not put any aiming spots on the targets so people have to learn to" pic a spot". Also change the sizes just a little and you are messing with range estimation.....It's a real challenge in any event. Think you could put a cardboard silhouette in front of the matts and have a real nice and fun range.
        The only problem is that when your walkin the land your mind will see real devious target locations and if you have ridges and draws put a bunny target across the draw, either up hill or down, and maybe 40 yards then make the bunny twice as big as it should be......on second thought ya might not be as mean as me, but it will get ya chuckling.
rich
PS: if you use broadheads the targets will have a very short lifespan, field points and or blunts will be better for the targets.