Author Topic: Midas touch Minnesota Osage (red elm)  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Josh B

Midas touch Minnesota Osage (red elm)
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:45 am »
This was not a good weekend in the shop.  Everything I touched turned to crap!   >:(  I worked on 4 different bows and botched something on every one.  First up was a 52" ntn sinew backed Osage character bow.  I'm within a couple inches of my goal of 50#@28" and it has developed a severe case of hand shock and string buzz.  I have yet to figure out where the timing issue is.  Being so close to full tiller and frustrated, I set it aside until I was feeling a bit more patient.  (Sorry no pics yet)  Next up was a little red elm five curve for a friends daughter.  Exacto knife slipped while trimming the cloth backing strip and cut a strip out along the edge of the limb.  No pics.  Had a laminar separation on a snaky Osage d-bow.   And last but not least, I was working on my wifes new bow, got it to brace and the back splintered.  I did get a pic of that.  Luckily, it had paper thin rings and i was able to chase another ring and possibly still be able to get 35# out of it.  Just to be safe, it now has a rawhide back.  Once I got the rawhide on, I closed the shop and went shooting with my kids.  That went much better.  Here's my youngest daughter holding my wifes new bow after the ring was chased and a pic of the back where it splintered.  I hope you all had a more productive weekend!  Josh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:38:59 am by Gun Doc »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Midas touch Minnesota Osage (red elm)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:40 am »
Tough break! Cute kiddo. Nice curves on that bow
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:35 am »
Glad I am not the only one who is being stung by wood every time. Yew - checked like no-bodys business and its been 80% + humudity for as long as I can remember, elm wood pecker damage right into the heart, another elm way underweight and would just not take any strain very poor early to late, another elm chrysal badly, wrotten pocket of wood just under the surface, I could go on  :-\

That bow looks great though!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:16 am »
Ya I have had them days,thank goodness not to often. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:37 am »
Sometimes it all seems to go south every time you pick one up.  Has for me.  Glad you got to shoot with your daughter though.  Gotta cherish those times and just laugh at the rest.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:37 am »
Hey Josh, least ya made it home in one piece and got time with the family, Sorry about the sticks though.
rich

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:02 am »
Sorry to here that man, that was mine last weekend.  But that's why we have ice cold beverages.  Glad shooting with the fam was great.  Luckily there is always more wood to be worked :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:10:12 am »
Is a bad weekend in the shop better than a good weekend on the road?   Hope your luck changes soon.  See you in a few months  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:10 am »
I noticed when I have a bad streak of bow making it is usually followed by a good streak. I hope it holds true for you too!

Patrick

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Yup... had one of those days in the shop last week, too. Cut the end of my thumb off changing the blade on my bandsaw, and broke another bow. So, I decided to take some time off and go visit my Grandson. I feel your pain brutha! Nice looking curves on that bow, and I'm glad you could save it. Good job.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:39:42 am »
That's a real bummer trucker, crap happens in the bow shop buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:48 am »
I knew you guys would understand!   Clint...a bad day at home is definitely better! ADB...ouch!  I'll quit whining now.  My weekend left me with all my body parts intact so I don't reckon it was that bad after all.  It wasn't totally unproductive on Sunday. The 4H shoot got snowed out, so i used the time to make a couple dozen arrows for the club and some new strings for the club bows.  The shooting time was good too. Here's Moyra(my youngest daughter)  and my son Gunner.  They are really improving fast. My son can't quit fiddling with his quiver that Rich made  though! Lol!  Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:52 am »
Man, tell Moyra I'm gonna steal that quiver....that's just too cool 8)
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:32 am »
Still looks like a good productive time well spent weekend to me buddy  :D

Offline ajooter

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:49 am »
Its definitely good to know when to walk away.  Way to persevere with your wife's bow it looks great! :)