Author Topic: what's ERC wood?  (Read 4995 times)

Offline leehongyi

what's ERC wood?
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »
I am a bowyer from china. I don't understand what's ERC mean and could not find answer on google. So, can anybody tell me what's ERC wood and its scientific name? Thank you~

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: what's ERC wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:17 pm »
Eastern Red Cedar
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:54 pm »
ERC stands for Eastern Red Cedar, it is a juniper here in the U.S.  I do not know if it is indigenous to China or Asia.  It is very good in compression and so so in tension has a drastic contrast between the purple heart wood and white sapwood and smells great.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »
It's the best bow wood...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:31:51 pm »
Scientific name is juniperus virginana
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »
ERC is Eastern Red Cedar(Juniperus virginiana)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »
ERC is famous for making either an amazing shooter or an amazing explosion when it fails.  I have an amazing shooter build by a 14 yr old bowyer that used to hang around in here.  I suspect he has found girls and will not be back in here until he gets them out of his system. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »
ERC is famous for making either an amazing shooter or an amazing explosion when it fails.  I have an amazing shooter build by a 14 yr old bowyer that used to hang around in here.  I suspect he has found girls and will not be back in here until he gets them out of his system.

I remember finding People Using Sex Stealing Your Cash And Things(pussycat for short)when I was that age... :laugh: and it took me a looooooong time to learn my lesson ...shoot..I don't think I ever did learn yet... :laugh:

I've made several eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana) bows....makes a good and very pretty bow if it survives...I've had really good success with it,but some other folks haven't...

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:33 pm »
Many trees have worldwide representatives and the Juniper is no exception.
 Here's your local stand in for ERC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_chinensis

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:32:50 am »
thank you all guys really!but i am afraid erc or juniper is hard to get in china as bow wood for its high price.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:34:37 am »
How about Canada red cedar?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:41:51 am »
If you are talking about Canadian Western red cedar, than that is not bowwood. It's also not in the botanical genus Juniperus and therefore hardly related to ERC/Eastern red cedar. Any wood from the genus Juniperus will make a bow, but Western red cedar is not from that genus.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:48 am »
If you are talking about Canadian Western red cedar, than that is not bowwood. It's also not in the botanical genus Juniperus and therefore hardly related to ERC/Eastern red cedar. Any wood from the genus Juniperus will make a bow, but Western red cedar is not from that genus.

I have successfully made an English Longbow from a Western Red Cedar fence rail.  76" tip to tip, warbow dimensions in the handle area, so a full 1 1/4 inch wide grip area, roughly following the 5/8 rule, tiller is full circle and bending nicely thru the handle. There is a scant 1/4 inch creamy sapwood over the lovely dark heartwood.

It is fretted fully from one end to the other, as if an engineer distributed them according to the most careful measurements.  It draws a little under 28 lbs at 30 inches draw.  And it has taken about 5 inches of set. 

So, yeah you CAN make a bow from it.  But I think you could make a better bow of laminated used Post-It Notes and school paste.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »
Do you cut staves or do you just use boards?

I bet there is a juniper over that's suitable for bow making.
Springfield, MO

Offline Newindian

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »
There is Chinese juniper but it's more bush than tree
I like free stuff.