Author Topic: Burlap Backed Ash Bow  (Read 10283 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Burlap Backed Ash Bow
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:57 am »
Great job.  Your finish work is exceptional.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:26 pm »
autologus - Oh I see...so it does.  I think it just jogged a little in that spot.  There are some run ups on that side but for the most part the grain is pretty straight.  Thanks again man!

IdahoMatt - Thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Nashoba

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »

Nashoba -  Thanks!  The tips are solid.  I've seen some bows with narrower tips.  If they are thick enough not to bend you can go pretty narrow. The thing about narrow tips is the benefit of lower mass at that part of the limb resulting in better performance.  You should check out some of blackhawks bows.  he takes it to the extreme and they are awesome.

I just looked up blackhawk's "Osage Myth" (I think that is what the topic was titled) and I see what you mean. I have a Dogwood stave that I am trying to turn into a molly and I think that I will experiment with getting the tips super narrow like you have here. I repeat myself, but awesome job man.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »
Thanks again!  If you get it working you will be pleasantly surprised how nice it is to shoot.  blackhawk has several others with very narrow tips.  You should take a look at others he has made as well.  Lot's of other people here do too.  TBB4 has some good examples and does a nice job explaining why this design element can help improve efficiency quite a bit.  I am by no means an expert but it is also important to reduce the thickness as much as you can.  The goal is low mass with no or very very little bend.  A fine line when you get really narrow.  Good luck!  I'm sure it will be AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
Awesome bow!  Beautiful job!!  Loved shootin mine,, someday I'll have another! 
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.