Author Topic: Any thoughts?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Any thoughts?
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:11 am »
I recently checked out Arrowind's fine Burlap Backed Ash bow, and remembered a similar bow I made and set aside a few years ago for a grandson. So over the weekend I strung and 'exercised' the bow a few times. With every pull it was giving off a cracking sound. I was relieved to find it was just the backing moaning some and not the wood. I'm not sure if its the dried poly finish or the burlap loosening--it was applied with TBII as I recall, any ideas?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

Re: Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:09 am »
Without seeing it in person or even any pics its hard to say? Could be just the glue n backing being stretched as it hasn't been in awhile? I'd give it a good thorough exercising on the tree starting with a low draw length and slowly working your way down so you can stand back from it and test it,and if all looks and goes well from there start shooting it..just keep a close eye and ear on it as ya do...I'd think you'd want to more than just prove it if its going to someone else,especially a minor

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Any thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:51 am »
I would do like Chris said,keeping a close eye and ear,cracking sounds usually ant
good,so be aware. :) We always like to think it is something else besides the wood/string nocks,string wax,backing,glue exc/exc but it usually ant. ;)  Good luck. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good