Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Making Split Timber Shafts

<< < (2/7) > >>

Bow Bandit:
thanks it deffinetly helps out beginner arrow makers like me... i want to try as many ways as possible to see which work better...

Thanks Brandon

MattE:
Like George,I use the plane method as well that is when I was making arrows shafts many years ago.
I have threatened to make a jig to use a router but never did. You have my respect for how neat your working area appears.My shop is a mess!

duffontap:
Thanks guys.  I try to weight my time toward building bows, but building arrows is just a such a relaxing activity.  I make most if not all of my hunting shafting with the power jig, because I use up a lot of arrows.  But I still love the sound of a block plane peeling off golden curls of doug fir and cedar.  Making the track plane was one of the most fun things I did on Christmas vacation last year.  It's just fun to get that stuff to work.  There's just a lot of ways to avoid buying carbon arrows!  When my wife and I walk our dog down to the beach, I usually bring my hunting knife and cut and peel and wild rose shoot.  It's a lifestyle.

J. D. Duff

marvin:
Great stuff Duff! sorry, I couldn't resist  ;D

Maybe we should eventually put this thread in the Howto's/archive section for reference. This is the kind of practical info we need more of. Thanks.

Pat B:
Yes, Marvin. I think we should. I about pulled my hair(what little I have left) out last night trying to scan pics of the spine tester, then get it ready for posting on the site. This old dog ain't real smart when it comes to these new fangled puters.
   JD, I carry pruning clippers every time I go out in the woods for cutting shoots for arrows. I'm in the woods around my home at least once a day and my woods are getting devoid of good shoot materials these days.   Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version