Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Making Split Timber Shafts

<< < (5/7) > >>

duffontap:
Hey DT,

I've seen those around quite a bit, but it seems like it would be way inferior to the router system.  With the router, your shafting comes out right on and with a shinny, burnished surface.  How clean do your arrows come out of those tennon cutters?

J. D.

woody:
Good post.  I have been itching to make my own shafts for a while.  I am leaning towards method #2.  Would you explain a little more about how you made all that stuff? - the board, the plane.

Thanks for your time.

woody

George Tsoukalas:
I inherited a molding plane with that type of circular groove in the blade.  I've tried it. Jawge

Minuteman:
I use the Veritas doweling jig(3/8") that Dtiller supplied a link to above and it works incredibly well.You do need the out feed support or really long monkey arms like me. ;D
 They are kinda big but once you've run them through you just spin 'em back out of the cutter, pick up ypur 22o grit paper give it a squeeze down the spinning shaft, pick up you next higher grit and hit it a lick with that and yer good to go. I usually sand  my hunting arrows with 120 grit and thats it, they are gonna get broken anyway!  I bet that you can turn out a shaft every minute and a half( not including tips, nocks ,or ripping out the blanks of course.)
 I'd certainly be interested in a strunk style plane board build along as well. :)

woody:
That's what I am talking (writing) about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version