Author Topic: For better limb tiller:  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Gaust

Re: For better limb tiller:
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »
SLIMBOB, Paul Comstock's statement confused me, to say the least.  I always thought the stronger limb on the bottom, no matter if it has a natural deflex or not.  He did not mention strength.  I just did not know which one overrode the other.  But, thanks, everyone for the discussion and your opinions.  It was very interesting and informative. 
George

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 02:23:19 pm »
This is interesting but i have to admit i havent given it much thought before now. I always shoot a bow alot flipping it end for end and let the bow decide what it likes before shaping the handle..reflex/deflex be damned... Im not really sure that this is even relevent unless you are really pushin the limits of design such as flight bows.. only my opinion ofcourse tho... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »
Keep in mind that the extra energy stored in the bow to achieve high string tension at brace is not actually available to the arrow....

Then why bother?

Offline PatM

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
Because it allows the f/d curve to start at a higher number  in the initial stages.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »
I find myself reading Paul Comstock's quote again and again, and I'm trying to come to grips with his logic.  I understand that the stress that the bottom limb endures is greater than the top limb.  His recommendation to put the naturally deflexed limb (if you have one) at the bottom means it would be bending already to begin with, therefore it can take the stress better than say a straighter or more reflexed limb.  If you put that naturally deflexed limb as the top limb, the straighter or more reflexed limb at the bottom would have to work more (bending stress).   It is a matter of balance after all, and that's what he meant.  Anyway, I think I see says the blind man.
George