Author Topic: My first "haul"!  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Bitterguy

My first "haul"!
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
Thank to the always helpful folks of this forum I found out that limbs and saplings can be bows too! So I went to the nearest woods and figured that they wouldn't miss a few sapling/limbs that were lying on the ground. I got two limbs (cut up to 4 pieces right now) from right to left they're 11' , 4', 5 1/2', 5 1/2' . The ones on the ends come from one limb and the middle two from the other. IDK what I'm going to do with the 4' but i figured that I'd split the 11' into two more 5 1/2'.

I have a couple question about them (me always with the questions >:D) :
1. What species are they? I figured the two on the ends might be oak and the middle ones black walnut?
2. Cut of the ends and sealed them up with spray paint. Will that be good enough?
3. Some of the ends are wet. Non of the limbs seemed rotten or bug ridden. Would the wet ends pose a problem?
4. How long should i wait before shaping them?
5. How would I go about shaping them?

As always, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:12:16 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: My first "haul"!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:50:11 pm »
All those limbs coming off them isn't great. Shoulda asked more questions ;0)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:39 pm »
If those were dead limbs laying on the ground they might not be any good.  White woods go bad very fast once they are cut or fallen.  You want to cut living trees/limbs.  Osage and Black locust are different.  They are more rot resistant and dead trees can still be used if they aren't ate up with borers.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:51 pm »
None of them seem to be rotten is there a definite way to tell before I tear into them? To clarify these seem to have fallen in one of those nasty snow storms so I'm thinking the cold may have prolonged the rotting
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:22:59 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:35 pm »
If they were laying on the ground I wouldn't trust them.  But that is just me.  If that is all you can get your hands on you could give it a try and see what happens.  But you would probably be better off going back and cutting something that is still alive.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:13 pm »
If they were laying on the ground I wouldn't trust them.  But that is just me.  If that is all you can get your hands on you could give it a try and see what happens.  But you would probably be better off going back and cutting something that is still alive.

Ill try and see what happens. If I post some rings does anyone think they can help me ID?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:01:06 am »
Post closeups of the rings, the bark, and if possible any of the branches where the tips show the leaf buds.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 12:29:49 am »
Why were they laying on the ground?   Use fresh cut wood for bows or go buy a proper board.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:05 am »
Personally, I look for the limbs that didn't break off during the snow storm ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:33:09 am »
Now that a few people told you that saplings make good bows as well, you've become over-enthousiastic. That wood, my friend, is firewood. NOT bow wood at all! A sapling is not the same as a random piece of wood laying on the forest floor. Do yourself a favor and buy or borrow the book "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible volume 1" and start reading. Really, it will help you A LOT.
When looking for (sapling) bow wood, there are a few very basics to consider. No-one told you this in the previous thread, because they are so inherently basic to building a bow, that everyone just assumed you were aware of this. But appearantly you were not.
- You must cut living wood, or wood that fell from a tree less than a week ago (for instance due to a storm). NEVER use dead (standing) wood. Yew, osage and black locust are the only exceptions, since these woods are incredibly durable and don't rot very soon.
- You need to know the tree species you are cutting. You cannot simply cut any species and start chopping away. While almost any wood species can make a bow, you need to match the design to the species. You need to figure out the species BEFORE cutting. You don't want to cut a willow, if a hickory was growing right next to it, without you knowing this... Also, we cannot ID the woods you collected based on this one lousy pic without any details provided or macro pictures supplied.
- A sapling is not the same as a branch. In general, vertical trunks, trees and sapling make superior bows as compared to branch bows. Do yourself a favor and cut a vertical sapling, which is basically a young tree of about 2 to 4" across.
- Any bow wood needs to be as free of knots and branches as possible. Due to the fact that there are at least five cut off branches in each piece of wood you collected (except maybe for the one on the far left), these pieces are totally unsuitable for bows. You need to looks for zero or maybe one knot/branch when looking for bowwood. Tackling several knots is for advanced bowyers.
- Length is important as well. The three sticks on the right are too short for bows. 60" is just too short for a beginners bow. Aim for at least 70" when you cut the wood, preferably 6'. Personally, I advice a beginner to make his first bow between 72" and 74". This length also needs to be reasonably straight. Your long piece of wood on the far left is just too curved to make it desirable.

Bottomline: dump the firewood you've collected so far. Take a small folding saw with you and go into the woods again. Cut two saplings SELECTIVELY, considering all of the above - and everything else that was mentioned in the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. 1. You'll have to look at about 50 saplings, yet find only a few that are suitable and meet all the criteria to quality as bowwood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:46:35 am »
Alright using your help I went up to my local woods at 7:30 and spent an hour looking for suitable bows. Most trees around there are fully grow so it was slim pickins but I considered my options and picked the two I felt would work best and ended up with a 2" birch and  4" oak both at about 7'. There are no real huge  knots, it it looks like they each might have had a couple little twigs but I figure its nothing I can't work around with some diligence, patience and my bowyer's bible (thanks for reminding me i actually had one somewhere!) I can make a two bows (maybe even 3!) out of em!

pics:

Edit questions!:
1. should i splt the birch or just try and carve of the excess?
2. since the oak was 4" at the base i was planning on splitting it. I take it i would just use an axe, a splitting wedge and a mallet?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:22:02 am by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.