Author Topic: New Bowbuilder!  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Ross.m.

New Bowbuilder!
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:41 pm »
I'm new to bow making and have not made a bow yet, but I am very interested and have researched a lot about the process. If any of you have any general tips, that would be great.

I live in toledo OH and I have yet to find any Osage growing anywhere around here. There are tons of shag-bark hickories around, so I will use one of those. I have a really nice hickory picked out, but it might be a bit large. Is it too big if I can't fit my hands around it?

Lastly, I want to know more about good quick drying methods, because I want to get to work as soon as possible.  Thanks for the help!

Offline adb

Re: New Bowbuilder!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:31:12 pm »
Get your hands on the Traditional Bowyers Bibles Vols 1-4. Covers everything. Welcome!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:37:11 pm »
Welcome to PA and the exciting world of wood bows.   8)  Check out George(Jawge) Tsoukalas' site at the top of the "How To" page.
Just join in and ask questions. You have access to some of the best wood bowyers in the world and they are all willing to share their knowledge. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:19:04 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »
Thanks, pat. My two biggest questions now are about quick drying and the specifics with shag bark hickory

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »
Welcome top bedlam, Ross. 

Quick drying and hickory are not necessarily in the same universe.  Hickory is a very hydrophilic wood and it hates to part with it!  That being said, never let caution or good sense get in your way.  It sounds as if that tree you are looking at should be shaking in his roots. 

Skin the bark off the tree as quick as it is cut, even though in the winter months it will be a little harder than it would in the spring when the sap rises.  Then, just as quicklike, seal the back with something like a spray can of shellac or polyurethane, even cheap latex paint left over from some long lost project.  It will be easier to get the bark off BEFORE you dry the wood, even though you are just going to re-seal the back.  You want to keep moisture from escaping the bark side of the stave, which is what causes drying checks or cracks. 

Then feel free to use a bandsaw, tomahawk, hammer and wood chisel, or angry beaver to reduce the bow to close dimensions to what you want.  Clamp it down to a 2x4 and put it in a closet in the house.  30 days like this and it should be ready for a little tillering.  By then it should have lost most of it's tendency to warp or twist.  But you will want to take a few more weeks to finish tillering.  Even then, you will probably see the bow gain draw weight over the next 6 months. 

Does that answer part of your questions?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:47 pm »
Welcome and listen to these guys that been around here a long time. They know what they are talkin about  ;)
Marco

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:09 pm »
Welcome !! hopefully you'll stick with bow making my biggest tip is patience and lots of it !
I like osage

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:40:04 am »
Thanks JW! You covered everything I needed. When I cut down the tree I want to get three staves. How would I cut that or split it? And when I seal it do I seal everywhere I just peeled bark off of?

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:16:39 am »
Welcome to the fun....there IS osage near you  :-X

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:49 am »
You can split it with wedges and a big hammer.
If it's just bigger than you can get your hands round just split it in half and get two staves. DON'T be greedy with spliting or else you end up with a big pile of nothing!
So split out a stave.
First remove bark etc as described above.
Then mark out a parallel 2 inch wide strip down the middle of your stave - following the grain.
Remove the wood outside of these lines to leave you with a two inch wide stave that is still thick.
Then reduce then mark out the handle area and reduce the thickness down to around 3/4 thick near the handle  and reducing by maybe 1/8 th at the tips.
Seal the back - shellac is great.
At this point it's very useful to weigh the stave and mark it on it. Continue weighing it every few days anbd marking on the new weight. You will notice the rate it losses moisture slowing after a while. Then you can reduce it some more, closer to actual dimensions. Ask for some more help when you get to this stage!
I'd advise making a pyramid bow with a rigid handle to begin with. Try using the search on here for examples of hickory bows and pyramids.

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:50:31 am »
Thanks mike! I'm going to cut the tree tomorrow!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »
You will be happier with the results if you wait until spring before you cut the hickory. Once the leaves come out the bark will peel right off. If you cut it now you will probably have to fight the bark off. You can cut osage now and you'll be good t go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 03:33:25 am »
Do any of you have tips for finding osage in the winter? Also what would be one of the best starter bow woods that isn't hickory or osage?

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 03:39:41 am »
If he wants to get started quickly go cut that hickory and peel the bark off  :)
So what if it will take a few more minutes! He wants to make a bow! It's a darn site quicker to peel the bark than wait till spring! ;) ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 03:48:43 am »
Do any of you have tips for finding osage in the winter? Also what would be one of the best starter bow woods that isn't hickory or osage?
Hazel...
Best advice is to just jump in and get started. The best wood is the bit you can get hold of. Even a quick try out with some quick seasoned Hazel will teach you more than hours and hours of reading. Once you start to see and feel what its like you will understand a lot more, like the old Chinese proverb.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Google Delsbows, there is a page about Hazel bows there including my 1 hour bow which shows you how even a quick rough bow can work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.