Author Topic: Italian fur hat  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Italian fur hat
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:15 pm »
Bought this hat for 10 bux at the antique store. Any idea what it is? The fur is pretty thick and the hide seems from a bigger animal
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Italian fur hat
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:20 pm »
Pix would be good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »
I wanna say rabbit but the hide seems thicker

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:14:06 pm »

If it was from China, I would say "Rover".  It could be from one of the bigger breeds of rabbits, like the Belgian, and that could be why it is a thicker hide, or maybe it could be the hide of a Chamois.  Never seen the fur or hair on one, so I don't know what it looks like.  Just guessing here.  Could be some Alpine ibex, or goat type of critter.  Or it could be an Italian "Rover-eti" ::) :P :P

Wayne

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »
Well it's gonna be string silencers now lol. I'd say there's probly about 30 pair. For $10!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
    It does look like Coyote fur though.  Well it should make good string silencers.   Plus you could make some ear muffs. ;) :) Yeah, I always check the thrift stores, and such for leather purses, and high boots, for the leather, and I got a great hand bag that is now my possibles bag for my BP stuff.  Plus I didn't have to do much to it, to fit in with that period.  Just removed the brass clasp, and replace it with an antler button, and string loop. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:08 pm »
    It does look like Coyote fur though.  Well it should make good string silencers.   Plus you could make some ear muffs. ;) :) Yeah, I always check the thrift stores, and such for leather purses, and high boots, for the leather, and I got a great hand bag that is now my possibles bag for my BP stuff.  Plus I didn't have to do much to it, to fit in with that period.  Just removed the brass clasp, and replace it with an antler button, and string loop. ;)

Wayne

Wayne wears a purse, Wayne wears a purse!  Haha!  Oh wait!  I have a collection of handmade leather purses that I wear on my outings in the woods.  Never mind.

Blafair has a ladies hat, Blafair has a ladies hat!  Haha!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:49 pm »
Lol jw, I have about 40-50 string silencers in this ladies hat!

The fur is real thick. Should make some kool looking ones! I'm putting some on my trade bow, so well see.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:56 am »
Just a guess here but that looks like badger to me, out of all the coyotes I've shot I've never seen one with brown underfur like that, coyotes underfur is always grey while badger is often brown.

PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 01:31:17 am »
The under fur is white. The longer fur is a grayish brown. If I bend it it's like a light yellowish white. I'll post another pix tomorrow

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:32:11 am »
Silver fox.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »
Frank, are you referring to me?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
What I can tell from what I've found online and what it feels like it is dyed lamb fur

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »
Tuscan lamb fur

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:48 pm »
Pat B.
Frank from Germany...