Author Topic: Slow motion videos of primitive archery  (Read 14146 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Slow motion videos of primitive archery
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 04:46:28 pm »
Great stuff!! You've been very busy. Will watch more when I have more time. Good luck w/ the book. If you've been making bows for 15 years you must have started when you were 5 as young as you look. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:16 am »
JW_Halverson, yes, I really want to see how string material is affecting bow limb vibrations. I have Astro Flight and Dacron, so I will make the comparison when I have time, I hope soon!

One thing I want to see, is how different spine bare shafts are behaving.

Bowtarist - born -77, not so young...

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:57 am »
I would be very interested to see how molly style bows behave when shot compared to say a pyramid. Eg. how much the limbs buckle when shot. I would also dearly love to see what's going on with some of my hornbows when shot. I have a feeling that reflex/deflex bows/mollies have an advantage in speed over straight,whole limb bending bows because of their resistance to buckling when the string hits brace height after being shot.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 09:45:48 am »
Great stuff indeed!  That is something I have wanted to do for awhile.  It is like taking a microscope to archery.  I love the inquisitive approach to it along with the stuff blowing up cool factor videos.  Would be great to see your book in English. 

I would love to see the difference in recovery of parallel vs tapered wood arrows. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:38 pm »
   I would like to see some very light flight arrows shot. For some reason I have to nock the very light arrows much higher than I would shooting a target arrow or I get the porpoising affect. Maybe 3/8" higher.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »
This high speed photography has great potential to show WHY things work the way they do.  It can be an excellent tool for proving or disproving a lot of old wives tales!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »
This high speed photography has great potential to show WHY things work the way they do.  It can be an excellent tool for proving or disproving a lot of old wives tales!

Careful with such fancy new Tech!  It's likely to TICK OFF some of those old wives!!!

OneBow

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 05:15:27 am »
Mikekeswick – the buckling of the limb is just residual energy of limbs. Dynamic draw force curve of the bow is telling more of the dynamics of the bow. Hopefully I can soon film acceleration of different kind of arrows. Or, filming is easy but analyzing is laborious.

Carson – I will film parallel and tapered arrows too. We have here in Finland now winter, which means that we have very little daylight. And I need more light to film arrow flight from bow to target. It will be interesting to see how bareshaft arrows are behaving.

Steve – I am flight shooting fan (personal best 300 yards with 52# bow)! I have a couple of flight bows, very light flight arrows, so I can try it. My lightest arrows are about 200 grains and my flight bow is about 60#. Could the reason be positive tiller? You should try it zero or even negative tiller.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:11 am »
Great videos! I'm glad that someone finally disproved the myth of uneven limb timing - thank you!
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »
Great videos! I'm glad that someone finally disproved the myth of uneven limb timing - thank you!

Like you, I was so happy to learn that uneven limb timing was a myth....that is, until I began to ask JUST WHAT DOES CAUSE THE HANDSHOCK?!?!?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 02:09:27 am »
Yes, uneven tiller is NOT the reason of handshock. Or not the most important reason, maybe a minor, depending on situation. That particular bow had no handshock - it was elm, about 42# @ 27".

Please, you have to wait a moment, I have new material of unbalanced bow limbs!

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:09 am »
There is some new slow motion videos in Youtube. I was comparing string material differencies (Dacron and Astroflight).

I think, the best was this: http://youtu.be/GuvGkApgsm4
Release without an arrow and without gripping the bow. The bow flew about 3 meters away!

More is coming later!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:15 am »
I love the way the bow sort of moonwalks off doing it's own funky thing ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:39 pm »
I love the way the bow sort of moonwalks off doing it's own funky thing ;D
Del

;D ;D ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 06:53:34 pm »
Bump to review the comparison of Dacron versus FF.
  Does this prove that non-stretch diminishes handshock?