Author Topic: Feather care  (Read 2108 times)

Don Case

Feather care
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
Is there any special care for feathers? I just got a handful of turkey feathers from a local farm. They're a little grungy. Can I wash them in soap and water? What about storage? I think I read somewhere that moths will attack feathers. Mothballs?
Thanks
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Feather care
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »
Yes you can wash them. Once they dry you will probably have to steam then to get them back in shape. I keep mine in the "other" refrig in the basement. Moths and mite will attack your feathers. Some folks will freeze them for a few days to kill any critters that might already be on them and then store them in Ziploc baggies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Andoing

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:38:27 am »
When cleaning feathers I usually add 2 in 1 shampoo to very hot water to disslove it and then add a lot of cold water, let them soak over night and rinse several times, hang to dry and then re connect any vane thats open.

Offline Robby101

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:47 am »
Don, I have never found the need to wash a feather, any gunk can easily be brushed off with an old, used, soft bristled tooth brush. I bag them up and throw in a couple moth balls. I have some that are ten or more years old and look as good as the day I put them in the bag. You can go years without a moth problem, but once you get them, you got them, an ounce of prevention...... as they say. One good way to accumulate a lot of turkey feathers is to make up a flier, the cooler, more attractive and eye catching the better, make copies and put them on bulletin boards where ever hunters might occasion, like the local gun shop, archery range, gun range, even the supermarket if they have a community bulletin board. I think most hunters are glad to find someone that will use these beautiful feathers, heck I could never kill enough turkeys to fill my need, but after posting my flier I had guys dropping off bags of freshly harvested prime wings! I'd come home from work and find bags of them on the porch, or walk out the door and find those plastic shopping bags hanging off the side mirrors on my truck, couple minute's with a pair of side cutters and in the bag they go! Most of the time I never saw or met whoever it was that left them, or I'd be at the Archery range and some stranger would walk up to me and ask if I got the wings they left! Before I knew it I had trash bags full of first class wild turkey feathers, Oh, and Canada goose feathers too.
Robby

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »
Thanks guys
There are no wild turkeys here, so that leaves me with farm turkeys that wander around in their own crap all day. I'm keeping my eyes open for Canada goose feathers. Actually any feathers :-\
I'll put mothballs on the grocery list.
Don

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »
Yes Sir,

My process is similar to PatB's.

I bag em
freeze em for a couple weeks at least.
Sort them into clean ZipLocks.
Then store them in a Sealable Box.
I also keep a few Bounce Dryer Sheets in the box to keep bugs out.

Will be trying Mr. Robby's Flier Idea...  :)

Thank You for posting.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:51:32 pm »
What I do with wild turkey feathers.

Freeze for a week in a zip lock bag to kill any feather mites.  Take out of freezer for a week to thaw out and then freeze again for a week to kill any feather mites that hatch.  I do this 3 or 4 times and then leave them out, in a bag and in a box until I get ready to grind them.

Right or wrong it has worked for me for many years.