Author Topic: Stiff handle and sinew  (Read 5651 times)

Offline DuBois

Stiff handle and sinew
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »
It seems that most of the sinew bows I see are bendy handle (maybe I haven't been paying attention).
I am wondering about sinewing a stiff handled bow.

If the length is say 62" but 9" of that is stiff handle, then wouldn't it benefit from sinew?

Also, couldn't it be sinewed from above fades to below the tips to reduce the amount of sinew needed or would you always go over the handle, regardless of it being stiff?

Offline Newindian

Re: Stiff handle and sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:09:09 pm »
So long as it's a thin layer it could work out right, I've heared that a sinew backing needs to go across the handle in one peiece
I like free stuff.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:12:06 pm »
I have seen blackhawk only sinew the working part of the limbs before.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »
PatB did a build-a-long on his stiff handled sinew backed bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38869.150.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »
That would probably work on a bow of that design. I have sinewed lots of stiff handled bows (not 9" though) that is a lot of non working bow for me.
I would sinew the handle too, it wont slow up the bow any and wont lift if it's all one piece.
That being said, I havent had sinew lift on me and I normally stop a few inches from the tips.
You just have to make sure the sinew is being stressed enough to make it worth having on the back of the bow.

Mark

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:27:57 pm »
It will benefit if you reflex it and draw it further. It's better to just go across the handle and  reduce the thickness there but it helps to have the sinew bridge the handle to tie everything together.
 I'm sure you'll get a few people still telling you that sinewing a 62 inch bow is a waste of time. Most of them will be basing that on something they read in a book one time rather than real world testing. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:40:27 am »
I made a 62 inch Osage take down with just the limbes done to about 4 inches
from the tip to the fads,worked out great. :) May be to long for sinew but I liked it just fine.  ;):)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:16:09 am »
If the length is say 62" but 9" of that is stiff handle, then wouldn't it benefit from sinew?

Man I hope so! Or I just wasted time sinewing a yew bow to those exact dimensions.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:49 am »
I made 2 or 3 sinew backed bows that I did not cross the handle with the sinew and in all three cases the bows took set in the handle area. I like to make handles small and to bend slightly at full draw so I my case having the sinew go across the handle area, connecting both limbs worked better. Leaving the sinew off the non-bending tips was never a issue for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:51:14 am »
That sinew needs to form a matrix from tip to tip regardless of handle design, IMO. Even if that handle doesn't bend, its still anchoring the limb and tying it all together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:12 am »
That my thoughts too Pearlie.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:49:30 am »
Ok, thanks everybody.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:49:55 am »
Design is with no recurves and about 2" reflex. With stiff handle would that still utilize the sinew enough to be worthwhile?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:00 am »
I would prefer to start with 5-6" of reflex myself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:17:55 am by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
OK, thanks PD,
I am debating sinew vs rawhide and have been leaning to hide. This decides it then.