Author Topic: Curly osage?  (Read 7729 times)

Online JW_Halverson

Re: Curly osage?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:33 am »
I have built several flintlock rifles and curly hard rock maple is beautiful stocks. Never seen a flintlock rifle made with Osage. That would be unique for sure.

I know a guy that made a flintlock stock out of osage.  He does amazing leatherwork and is a meticulous leather worker.  Wish I could say that about this gunstockig skills.  The stock still looks like the 2x5 that he started with!  Since it was only a 2x5, there is almost no drop to the comb and it is the fugliest gun you ever saw.  And heavy?????  No matter the load, it soaks up the recoil....if you are tough inough to hold the gun to your shoulder.  Sadly, for all the fun we have picking on him about that abomination of a gun, he most always takes home the prize for shooting.  And that is what hurts worse than the sight of that Firewood Flintlock.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:15 am »
You can have a piece to Greg.  Keep in mind it is in 3'-4' pieces.
That's head high to us short guys!! ;D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »
JW, sounds like he built himself a LOG GUN. They are big and heavy guns, but shoot great.

Another option for that wood would be to make a walking stick with the old man face carved in it. That curl would be beautiful on a tall walking stick.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 05:11:10 pm »
Yeah... Ima be that guy that resurrected a long dead post. I

I'd like to know,  what became of this wood? I have just made the most beautiful bow of highly figured curly osage. Just looking to learn how it went for these folks, as these pieces were cut to billet size.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Josh B

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 10:30:58 pm »
Clint made a bow out of one piece.  It was mostly early wood and didn't work out too well.  I have a piece that soy cut some lams off for a bow for me and the rest is sitting in my shop waiting for just the right firearm needing new furniture.  On a side note I made my youngest daughter a bow out of a narrow stave of curly Osage from home that turned out exceptionally well.

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2019, 09:53:46 am »
Thanks for the reply. The bow you made that turned out well, did you build it to standard dimensions for its draw weight and length, or did you go a little wider and longer? Did you have much set that you can recall?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2019, 12:25:54 pm »

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2019, 07:28:23 pm »
I saw photos of the effing glass bow Soy made from the curly osage.  I am not gonna go on record with my reaction because this is a family friendly site.

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2019, 07:44:48 pm »
I saw photos of the effing glass bow Soy made from the curly osage.  I am not gonna go on record with my reaction because this is a family friendly site.

Oh no.... did it not turn out well?

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2019, 07:55:48 pm »
*blushing*  Oh, it turned out. It turned out *pant*pant* very well!

Clear some of your pm's and send me a message, sleek

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2019, 07:01:47 am »
I'd LOVE to have a piece of curly osage to use in a longrifle stock. I did find this piece back in the corner that was big enough for a rifle and two pistols, but it has no figure in it. It's been seasoned over 20 years, and is dead straight and perfectly quartersawn everywhere except the buttstock.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2019, 07:05:15 am »
Should make a good squirrel rifle for when I get tired of missing them with the bow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer