Author Topic: Sinew on an ALB?  (Read 6962 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Sinew on an ALB?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 05:44:03 pm »
To get the benefits from a sinew backed bow the sinew need to be stretched and a longer bow can't do this.

A bow with a flat or deflexed profile can't do this. But what if you reflex the bow to the point that it does stretch a good deal to reach full draw?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 05:57:16 pm »
I make a lot of short and asiatic bows but for target archery I love longbows , I shoot in many traditional archery  tournaments. Actually I use classic shape D  50 lb english longbow - Ipe/maple/sinew . Im very pleased . Bow have very smooth draw. It is no so fast like Ipe/maple/bamboo but extra speed bows make me nervous on tournaments :). 40 gramm sinew + 40 gramm glue is enough for normal longbow , 80 gramm it is not very heavy backing .

Offline RyanY

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »
Pat, why is it that every time I make a post contradicting you it comes down to what kind of bows I make? Sounds a little silly. As if my argument were any less valid.   ::) I think everyone can agree it takes a lot more work to sinew back a bow than to make one without sinew, regardless of performance.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
Because you need experience to have a valid opinion.
 The time factor argument is not really relevant to enjoyable hobbies.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »
Sinew definitely is a lot of work, but I enjoy it for some reason  :)

I have a 62" buckthorn decrowned stiff handle bow I am working on.
Limbs are 26.5" to tip from fades so even though it is 62", wouldn't it still benefit from sinew? Especially if I stopped it 3-4" from tips?
And, would I need to sinew over the handle or could it be very light over handle?

Seems like most sinew bows I see are bendy handles?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 06:16:13 pm »
I may not have posted a sinew backed bow on here but I have cleaned, shredded, and backed a bow that I have in the works and have not yet taken the time to complete. I know how much work it is and I know I definitely wouldn't want to back a whole longbow with the stuff when I know I can make a great bow without it. This is of course my opinion but time and effort are things everyone considers when making a bow. So lets see some of your long sinew backed bows with their amazing performance. I guess if you haven't posted them on here then your argument is invalid.  ;)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 06:17:07 pm »
Because you need experience to have a valid opinion.
 The time factor argument is not really relevant to enjoyable hobbies.
I don't know Pat, I believe you need to be intelligent enough to have a well grounded theory to have a valid opinion,

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »
I may not have posted a sinew backed bow on here but I have cleaned, shredded, and backed a bow that I have in the works and have not yet taken the time to complete. I know how much work it is and I know I definitely wouldn't want to back a whole longbow with the stuff when I know I can make a great bow without it. This is of course my opinion but time and effort are things everyone considers when making a bow. So lets see some of your long sinew backed bows with their amazing performance. I guess if you haven't posted them on here then your argument is invalid.  ;)
  Sure I have. Is a 64 inch bow not long? Are you actually now saying you haven't finished a sinew backed bow? I don't need to see pics, just asking.
 I certainly don't consider time a factor. Especially when that time is worth it, and it is with sinew. You will see that one day too. ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:09 pm »
Even if sinew added a little performance to a longbow why bother? Very well performing and safe longbows can be made without sinew and no sinew means none of the work to prepare it, put it on, and wait for it to dry out. An all wood bow is far simpler to make. Save it for the shorties.

That's pretty much how I see it Ryan.   I have no doubt that it is feasible, I just don't see it as logical.   Sort of like making a bow using only sandpaper.  Could it be done....absolutely.  But why?   I can't see the potential for net gain being substantial enough to justify the extra effort.  Just my .02 .   Josh

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:40 am »
Even if sinew added a little performance to a longbow why bother? Very well performing and safe longbows can be made without sinew and no sinew means none of the work to prepare it, put it on, and wait for it to dry out. An all wood bow is far simpler to make. Save it for the shorties.

I've only made 1 sinew backed bow. It was classically short. However, I agree with ryoon... why bother making a long bow sinew backed?  Longer bows will perform perfectly without it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:06 am »
It comes down to what you want versus what is possible.
 When you go by what is possible with sinew, you don't know until you  know.

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 04:05:45 am »
There is reason sinew backing on lonbow - string follow. My after few tousend shoots and many hours stringin have perfect stable, straight shape after unstringing.

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:32 am »
 Majority of cases for sinew on a longbow is pointless,and we all know it regardless of how much experience one has...and I think some folks here have different opinions and definitions of what constitutes as a "longbow"....

@Lukasz....I've made several unbacked longbows(bows over 68") that retain wonderful reflex or still straight after many shots and hours of string time,and made from woods to ash to osage....if desiring a straight profile or retained reflex with a unbacked longbow is your goal then just simply temper the wood good....now you have nice retained reflex that will hold without the dog weight of the sinew..

IMHO if wanting retained reflex in a longbow the best ways is to just temper it into the desired reflex,or just make it a laminate bow with a boo or wood backer

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:04 am »
Unlike some others I'll show an example as a case in point  :-X ...lol  :laugh:

I've been shooting the snot out of this bow exclusively(shot it for an hour last night too) and its still retaining over 4" of reflex at rest...this bow is unbacked...now someone tell me why this bow needs the aid and benefit of sinew when already holding a wonderful semi high reflexed profile without it? BTW this is the osage myth bow for those who don't wish to click on the link who have already seen it...this is just one example..I've made others,and I know other folks out there have made wonderful straight to semi high reflexed longbows without sinew...its just not needed

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44033.0.html

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:08 am »
Im going to weigh 15 back straps and an ample amount of hide glue when I get home. 15 straps would easily do a few layers on a 64-66" ALB. I want to know just how much weight it adds. Im also going to weight rawhide enough to cover the same bow since we are talking dead weight. My first sinewed bow was 63-64". "Too long" as they say. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.