Author Topic: What kinda tree is this?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline okie64

What kinda tree is this?
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »
Anybody know what kinda tree these are? Huge nut clusters all over the tree and very smooth bark. Located in the ozark mountains in Arkansas if that helps.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What kinda tree is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:50:32 pm »
Paulownia, princess tree from Japan. Very invasive but not good bow wood. Probably good carving wood.  Does it have purple flowers in the summer?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
Think of the cheapest, most nauseating perfume you have ever smelled, this is what the flowers from this tree smell like to me.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:48 am »
Thanks for the quick reply Pat, I was hoping you would see this and chime in. I dont know about the purple flowers in the summer, I only notice them this time of year because of the big clusters on the branches. I picked up a few logs that were pushed into a brushpile and they were extremely light and had huge growth rings so I didnt figure it was good bow wood. I guess if they are invasive I should cut all of them down that I can??

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:20:43 am »
I guess we posted at the same time Eric. So Im guessing you have these trees in Alabama too?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 10:06:44 am »
It is revered in Japan. From what I've heard when a woman in Japan gets married she gets a box made from princess tree as part of her dowry .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:05 pm »
Paulownia is an excellent wood for carving and us very soft. Its somewhat similar to basswood. I still have a piece from where i bought some from Woodcraft. Its such a light wood a lot of people compare it to balsa wood.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!