Author Topic: Need advice on skinning skunks  (Read 10441 times)

Offline Marks

Re: Need advice on skinning skunks
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »
The smell of skunk from a distance is certainly a different smell than skunk up close. The smell changes when it gets to a certain intensity. I like roadkill skunk. Up close skunk is BAD!! My dog has been sprayed twice. Both times he ran back to me without the skunk and began plowing his face and body in the dirt and grass. It obviously was burning his eyes and seemed to irritate his skin too. I couldn't imagine the taste. I had to throw away his collars both times. The smell wouldn't come out of the metal. I let one sit out in the weather a few months and it still stank before I tossed it.

Offline wildman

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:08 pm »
I exited a S-10 pickup at 15mph in town. All I'm saying is it involved a girlfriend and a cutsey wootsy lil baby skunk that (allegedly) can't spray. Nothing like being 18 on all fours in the middle of the road blind and foaming from the mouth and nose as your pick up jumps the curve with the cutest lil skunk ever at the helm! TRUE STORY

Keith

Also ,Sterling should have  kilt made from skunk hides I traded him.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:06 pm »
I exited a S-10 pickup at 15mph in town. All I'm saying is it involved a girlfriend and a cutsey wootsy lil baby skunk that (allegedly) can't spray. Nothing like being 18 on all fours in the middle of the road blind and foaming from the mouth and nose as your pick up jumps the curve with the cutest lil skunk ever at the helm! TRUE STORY

Now That's some Funny Stuff right there...

At least from Here...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Stoker

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:37 pm »
Wildman - That's a awesome story
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:47 am »
Thank you all for the great advice.  I went and bought some superglue and headed to the trap line of nine spring traps and three box traps.  I had two skunks.  I disposed of them and got ready to skin them.  I couldn't do it because I knew the wife would not let me back in the house and I would be sent home from school. 

As Gus knows, shes not too keen on the trapping, the snake skinning and smelling like skunk just from using lures has put her over the edge >:D 8)

It's too bad because they were real beauties, but I am going to have to trade for skunk pelts..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:06 am »
Those lures are pretty loud smelling, aren't they?  Whew!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
Those lures are pretty loud smelling, aren't they?  Whew!!

Yes Greg!!!!  I had both the mini van and the truck smelling like skunk in no time at all.  The wife was not happy about that each time she got in either car and made a real STINK about it.  So I knew better than to go all out and skin a skunk.  I usually do it anyway, but I think with age I have wised up just a little. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »
It didn't matter how much I sealed them up in multiple containers, they still announced their presence with authority!!  I did catch a fox and a coyote with them though.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
How about possibly freezing them in a double...triple trash bag and skinning them while frozen. Maybe the "essence" would freeze to and not be expelled. Just a thought I just had. Sorry you had to get rid of them w/o any souvenirs.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 03:43:28 pm »
Skunk essence is still pretty strong after freezing, that is one of the reasons that is used in lures so they still smell in low temp where as other ingredients loose the odor in cold temps, Read somewhere that skunk oil freeze at alot lower temps than just 32 degrees.  Cip, you have become very wise in the ways of woman and lures and skunks. Later Bob

Offline stickbender

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 04:21:23 pm »

Cipriano, first point the tail away from you....... ::)
Gus, Outback, Stoker, and Wildman, I can relate to your experience.  When I was in the third or fourth grade, my Brother, a Friend of ours, and myself , were walking along a ridge with Australian pines, and palmettos growing on it.  The ridge was an old drainage ditch, which was dry.  Well the dog our Friend brought with him, started off across the ridge, to a field, barking like mad, when all of a sudden, it stopped, and started going round and round, in a circle, with its' face in the grass and  weeds!  Then the smell came our way.  Then the skunk came our way.  It headed straight for the palmetto patch.  Being the super intelligent kids we were, we cut some Australian pine saplings, and made spears, and were going to get a skunk!  uh huh.  Yep, we sure were.  Well the Skunk ran down a rabbit path, in the palmetto roots, and was just sitting there.  Well my Brother says, "Wayne go down to the other end, in case it tries to run out that way, and whack it when goes by".  Me being the unsuspecting genius, that I am, did just that.  Well meanwhile, I hear giggling and laughter up top, where my Brother, and Friend are.  I asked what all the laughing was about, and they said oh, nothing, just laughing at the dog.  OK.....  Then they told me to see if I could see the skunk from where I was at.  So I sat down, and looked up the little tunnel, as I was near the bottom of the ditch, and there was a steep incline, and yep I could see it plain as day.  I told them yep.  Then all of a sudden my Brother took his sapling spear, and shoved that skunk down the tunnel.  Right in my lap! :o :o :o :o :o :P :P :P :P
When you guys say it smells different up close, and can take your breath away........  Spot on!  I could hardly see, and cold not breathe, and was walking around trying to breathe, and finally was able to take a breath, but was not pleased with what I inhaled!  I cannot describe what the smell was like, nor the taste! :o :P :P  I got home and stripped off my clothes, in the carport, and went inside to take a shower.  My Mother was not happy.  My Dad got some big cans of tomato juice, and I washed with that, and showered again, and again.  Oh, yeah, that was on a Sunday.  Monday, I was in school.  I had a seat all to myself in the back of the class room.  Not to mention I could sit anywhere I wanted in the cafeteria, nor was there a line in the kitchen serving line to get the food. ;) Plus I had the whole bus seat to myself. Having not learned much from that adventure, years later, when I was in the seventh grade, my Family and I went to Wisconsin to visit my Aunt and Uncle on a dairy farm.  Well I had my trusty fiber glass re-curve bow and my home made arrows with the hacksaw blade points.  Well I decide to go out and scout the farm, and lo and behold there is a skunk waddling across the field not far from the house.  Well I let loose, and it is a direct hit, didn't kill it right off, so another one finally dispatched it.  Being experienced with skunks, I was a sufficient distance from the skunk.  Like 30 feet.  Wellllll, I go back to the house with my trophy, and my Mother has a fit!  I didn't check the wind direction before I shot.  Anyway, my Aunt thinks it is funny, my Uncle is happy, that there is one less skunk to get into the hen house and eat the eggs, and my Dad is just shaking his head.  Ahhh tomato juice........  Doesn't work all that well.  It does somewhat, but does not take the smell away completely.  It just sort of has to wear off.  I leave them alone now.  I had one come up on my porch in Montana, and look in my sliding glass door.  So I put my "Harold" electronic hoot owl on the porch, to run it off, next time it comes around.  Well then I got to thinking.......  Hmmm flashing eyes, hooting, might provoke a defense mode in the skunk.  So Harold is removed from the porch.  Oh yeah, the skunk that was in the palmettos, got away.  He was no longer of interest us, especially me!  I should have grabbed my Brother and Friend, and gave them both a great big hug!  But I was too busy trying to breathe to think of any retaliation. :P :P

Wayne