Author Topic: My first flightbows  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Badger

Re: My first flightbows
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:51 pm »
   I am not convinced that the very short bows are the answer. They are more efficient and the efficiency plays a bigger and bigger part as the arrows get lighter. They do lack the energy storage of the longer bows. With wood arrows we are limited to 22" and they have to be wood. One of the challenges is to maintain stiffness and still get a light small diamter arrow. We are also limited to natural fletching. I will know for certain this year but some of my not too many flight tests kind of indicate that a bit more mass is needed to overcome the drag of the wood arrow and the natural fletching. Instead of 180 grains maybe 250 grains would be better even if it left the bow slower. The heavier arrow will also be more efficient than the lighter arow and better able to benefit from the energy storage of the slightly longer bow. I believe that 240 fps is fast enough to get 400 yards with an optimum arrow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »
    I have anew natural fletch material I will be experimenting with this week if I can get it to stick to the arrow and stay upright, haven't figured out a good glue yet, thinking hide glue might be best. I will share it if it works.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
Rooting for you
Do well
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 03:19:12 pm »
Here is my first flight arrow : Pine and Ipe, 190 grain, 7 mm in center 5 mm near ends. Im not so optymistic, I be happy when I brake 300 meter .

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »
   If you are shooting that from a 70# bow I would measure the spine. If you have about 1/2 or no more than 9/16 deflection using a 2# weight at 22" centers you should be good to go. Another think I would sugest is that if you have time build one with a more blunt nose and maybe 50 grains heavier and see how it compares in flight with the same fletching.

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »
I think for 70 lb about 250 grain should be better, but it deppends on weather for sure. In Aprl in Poland could be high humidity. I see how important is release. Normal arrow 9-10 GPP have 3-5 fps differences  , on this molly and flight arrow speed was 210 - 235 fps -  25 fps deppends on release,  I must  practice with chrono :)