Author Topic: Tanned skins ??  (Read 1711 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Tanned skins ??
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:04:53 am »
Anybody ever use tanned skins on a bow? If so. What glue was used? How did they work?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Tanned skins ??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »
Pearl,

Let them soak in acetone for a few hours, it will make them usable. Any glue you want after that. ;) The skins I used that were tanned were tanned with antifreeze if I remember right.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »
I use em once in awhile.  I use tbIII.  I size the skin with lightly diluted tbIII to soften em up and then glue em down while their wet and pliable.  They are slightly more prone to wrinkling while following a curve, but just watch for it.  Other wise, same same.  Josh

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:06:33 pm »
I did Chris, only because they were so cheap. I used tb3  after giving them a good cleaning. If I remember right it had something to do with glycerine and the tanning process. I dont remember what I used to clean them with, but whatever it was seemed to be recommended alot in the searches I did. They are holding up great after about 3 years so far.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »
Thanks guys!

Seems the scales don't come off easy? Does that sound right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »
I used glycerin tanned skins on that last bow I posted Chris. I hand washed them in dawn dishwasing liquid and warm water for 15 min or so. Then put em on with tb3 like I usually do. Turned out fine.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »
I think acetone is what I used as well, and I dont recall the scales being a problem.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »
I use them all the time, I tan mine in glycerine, seems to me most of the scales come off in the tanning of washing them with soapy water
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »
Bub the scales may be gone already. Ill know when I stick tape to them and pull it back off. I have acetone and Dawn. They don't have any chemical odor at all. They smell like dead snakes to me! 

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:52:47 pm »
when I use a tanned skin I just clean in soapy water, the glycerin is from home made bio diesel , and it smells just like a dead snake, and I get very few scales coming off on the tape, I like them that way better, and it tends to darken them up a bit so the pattern show up big time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹