Author Topic: Puzzled ,how does a 50lb bow become a 78lb bow  (Read 12508 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Puzzled ,how does a 50lb bow become a 78lb bow
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
wait. Reaction wood reflex? I need some of that!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline willie

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:43 pm »
well, perhaps all the reflex happened before you started working on it, or maybe further reflexing was somehow prevented by the compaction of the belly that happened during tillering or from the resistance of the normal wood in the bow to bending. I am not an authority on wood or bows, by any means, but with my latest bow project, I have been playing with some reaction wood, albeit compression wood, and it acts different for sure, especially when adjacent to normal wood in the stave. I did not write my suspicions clearly in the previous post, but if the bow took a remarkable lack of set when tillering, perhaps the expected set was hidden somehow by tension stresses in reaction wood. I find it interesting that your description of the bow in its present state, seems similar to the high early draw weight one would expect to find in a highly reflexed bow. maybe that is why Badger suggests that the weight per/inch draw increase will drop offas you near full draw.
By the way, do you happen to know which way the back of the bow was oriented in the tree? Was the pith of the limb off center?

Did you know that Native Americans often preferred branch bows because they had not yet met Dan Perry , and even if they had, it was too long a ride to find a thickness sander. ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:23:26 pm by willie »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
Small diameter limb so the center of the bow was the center of the limb. Back was pulled into reflex so I'm only assuming, but I would bet it was the top of the limb. Can't be sure but all the earmarks...
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »
Just a quick update to close this out.  Turns out Badger was completely right.  I finally got this one back to 27 inches today as I took it very slow getting there.  63lbs at 27 inches, so it loosened up a lot as I pulled it farther.  I shot it a good bit this evening and checked it again after I had put maybe 25 shots thru it.  It held right on 63lbs.  So at the end of all this it picked up 11lbs from when I finished it last summer.  Still sits at about 1 3/4 inches of reflex.  Tiller is right on as well without touching it.  Danged if I know, but it's a hammer at that weight.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:00 am »
If you haven't already, make a 10 strand FF string for that sucker and it will fire arrows like a rocket launcher.  (I'm too chicken to use less than 10 strands... but the fewer the better)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08:56 am »
I've got 8 strand on most everything else, but because this one was so heavy at first, I made a 10 strand for it.  Yeah, it is way fast.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »
How did I miss this?
Well, for what it is worth, I've had that happen with green wood.
But SlimBob, your bow would have taken a huge amount of set after tillering.
Perhaps your scale is inconsistent.
How do you measure weight?
Some things are just a mystery.
:)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »
George. The entire thing is very strange to me though a few others, badger and jackcrafty have seen it before. It took only an inch of set from stave to finished bow. It has now picked up another 1/4 inch since shooting it at the higher weight. So it started with 3 inches if reflex and now sits at 1 3/4 inch of reflex, 63lbs at 27 inches. It was not a scale that told me it was heavy, I could barely string it. Once strung it was obvious that it was way heavy at just 10, 15 inches. My scale is an old bathroom scale that has served me well for more than a decade. I did build a tiller tree yesterday with a spring scale primarily because of this bow. I wanted to see if there was a difference. At 10 inches the old scale said 10lbs. The new scale said 15lbs at 10 inches. At 20 inches the old scale showed 40ish while the new one showed about 3lbs heavier. At 25 inches they were identical. Never got beyond 25 inches on the old scale. Mystery to me as well, but it is a rocket launcher now. If one is gonna change, I prefer this kind of change! 😊

Offline Badger

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »
  I had it happen just very recently. I finished a little rcurve 56" long with 4 1/2" reflex. I wanted to be 50#@26" but I came in light at 50#@28". Let it rest for about 3 weeks and now it is 50#@24". I am thinking if I draw it slowly out to 26 I will loose a tad more.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Without this forum, I would have called a few guys, none of which had ever had this happen by the way, and I would have no real answers.  Patrick said that on his really dense Osage, his bows will pick up 2-3lbs per month for a bit, so there is a possible cause.  You nailed how to deal with it, and so there's the fix.  Appreciate your insight.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:26:04 pm by SLIMBOB »