Author Topic: Boards vs staves ???  (Read 20549 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: Boards vs staves ???
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »
Pat
   Yes it is osage. i have looked at this stave from end to end and I think it will work as far as the grain goes. You really have look close on these as far as how the grain runs.. My last snake stave broke on the tree at 20".  The grain had just a little run off past one fade I didn't follow. That is all it takes for it to be fire wood. Dean

Offline RyanY

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »
Gimme a piece of wood and I'll try and make a bow from it. Board or stave. Doesn't matter to me. I like it all! Even firewood sometimes.  ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2014, 03:13:58 pm »
Gimme a piece of wood and I'll try and make a bow from it. Board or stave. Doesn't matter to me. I like it all! Even firewood sometimes.  ;)

X2 for me.  Josh

Offline adb

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:39 pm »
I've made many bows from both staves and boards. More boards, if I was counting, because dimensional lumber is more readily available for me. Also, the majority of my board lumber is not kiln dried... rather cut and seasoned like a stave.

I think they both have their pros and cons. I seriously doubt one has better performance over the other. I don't think one is easier or less challenging. If anyone thinks board bows are easy, lets see you make a 120#@32" maple backed yew warbow.
IMO, an experienced bowyer will learn to make bows from both. It will make you a better bow maker.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:00:51 pm by adb »

Offline bubby

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
I've made many bows from both staves and boards. More boards, if I was counting, because dimensional lumber is more readily available for me. Also, the majority of my board lumber is not kiln dried... rather cut and seasoned like a stave.
I think they both have their pros and cons. I seriously doubt one has better performance over the other. I don't think one is easier or less challenging. If anyone thinks board bows are easy, lets see you make a 120#@32" maple backed yew warbow.
IMO, an experienced bowyer will learn to make bows from both. It will make you a better bow maker.

applause, applause, great answer , bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »
I just don't buy into the stave vs board bias. "Staves are for purists, staves are harder, staves are better, boards are too easy, boards are for beginners, blah, blah, blah". Rubbish.

They're both wood, and have to be tillered. They both have to be designed properly to provide good performance and longevity. You need to be able to pick the right wood for either, and be able to deal with the challenges of both. I think all bow makers worth their salt should be able to see the value of both, and be able to make both.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »
Lol this arguments still going on over something that mostly opinionated
I like osage

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:20 pm »
Lol this arguments still going on over something that mostly opinionated

Exactly....silly.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline adb

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2014, 09:31:55 pm »

There's a right way to making bows from staves.....and then there's boards  ;D >:D

Sorry, Bryce... I see you as someone fuelling the bias. Try expanding your horizons with some laminated board bows. Sky's the limit.  ;D >:D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:06:21 pm by adb »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2014, 09:58:13 pm »
Lol that was back on pg 3! And also a joke see the laughing face  ;)
I agree that some folks don't have access to gathering staves and some have an abundance.
I prefer the organic shape of a stave bow.
I have made plenty of board bows bud.

On a primitive archery site I've noticed a lack of love for hard-backed bows.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline dwardo

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2014, 07:08:46 am »
I think you lot over the pond are just spoilt for choice. I have visited the few half decent timber merchants within a couple hours drive and found nothing suitable. Certainly not for a decent price.
I would imagine going further afield might get me something worthy of a bow but there certainly isn't anything at our local hardware shops, just orrible pine and if you are lucky some expensive oak with awful grain.

This is why I only use staves because I harvest them all my self. Being a bit of a control freak I am not sure I would like to use timber someone else has cut and seasoned as there is no tilling what they have done to it.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2014, 07:46:00 am »
Exactly. And that's one of the main reasons I generally don't use store bought boards... no telling how or where it grew, how long it layed outside, how the grain runs, etc.... and by that I mean the actual 'grain', not growth rings.

I have made board, backed, and multi lam bows from boards I cut from trees and IMO, they're much easier to design and tiller than stave bows with any 'character' at all.

The 120# @ 32" maple backed yew comment is an unfair comparison because those stats dramatically increase the challenge in stave bows as well... even with the most perfect yew or osage staves.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:21 am »
  I really enjoy making bows, any kind of bow. My budget will only allow for so many osage or yew staves which are both my first choice so I fill in my time with board bows, usually but not always wood or boo backed. I also really prefer to experiment with designs using board bows becuase of the lack of character and the much lower cost.

Something I really enjoy doing especially with hard maple is finding flat sawn boards and then chasing a ring on them. I spend an average of $50.00 per stave and am limiting myself to two a month. Boards are a neccessity for me to stay out of withdrawal.

Offline adb

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:31 am »
  I really enjoy making bows, any kind of bow. My budget will only allow for so many osage or yew staves which are both my first choice so I fill in my time with board bows, usually but not always wood or boo backed. I also really prefer to experiment with designs using board bows becuase of the lack of character and the much lower cost.

Something I really enjoy doing especially with hard maple is finding flat sawn boards and then chasing a ring on them. I spend an average of $50.00 per stave and am limiting myself to two a month. Boards are a neccessity for me to stay out of withdrawal.

+1. However, I have to spend about $200 to get a decent yew or osage stave to my door.

Offline adb

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2014, 10:59:22 am »
Exactly. And that's one of the main reasons I generally don't use store bought boards... no telling how or where it grew, how long it layed outside, how the grain runs, etc.... and by that I mean the actual 'grain', not growth rings.

I have made board, backed, and multi lam bows from boards I cut from trees and IMO, they're much easier to design and tiller than stave bows with any 'character' at all.

The 120# @ 32" maple backed yew comment is an unfair comparison because those stats dramatically increase the challenge in stave bows as well... even with the most perfect yew or osage staves.

And that's exactly my point Mr. Squirrel (and I believe perhaps yours too)... same level of difficulty making a laminated 120# bow as a 120# stave bow.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:24:04 am by adb »