Author Topic: Boards vs staves ???  (Read 20550 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Boards vs staves ???
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »
Beggars cant be choosers...i happily ruin whatever wood i get my grubby hands on,be it stave or board  ;D

Yup, same here. I haven't been able to cut any bow wood for over a year I think now, and I am out of staves, so I guess I will be making laminates for a while now. I like it all though, why not. I love the experience of harvesting and crafting your bow from A to B, I also like the process of building lam bows to dimensions as well, different experiences, but to me both are fun. And both can result in beautiful bows.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 11:14:14 pm »
To me the most satisfying part of building selfbows is taking it from tree to bow. I enjoy the whole process from picking out the right tree all the way to rubbing on the finish. Board bows are boring and have no personality and theres really not much primitive about them. They are machined and sawn out flat. Im not saying thers any difference in performance if designed properly. If I were limited to building board bows I would go ahead and move into building FG bows since the material is all machined flat anyways. Just my opinion

...so, then, what you're saying is, ...Board Bows = Fiberglass bows.  Hmmm....  (That should set the kindling to sparks!)

Sometimes you just need to add your own character ;)  some decoration looks good on character bows , some looks better on board bows IMHO

OneBow

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 11:18:19 pm »
To me the most satisfying part of building selfbows is taking it from tree to bow. I enjoy the whole process from picking out the right tree all the way to rubbing on the finish. Board bows are boring and have no personality and theres really not much primitive about them. They are machined and sawn out flat. Im not saying thers any difference in performance if designed properly. If I were limited to building board bows I would go ahead and move into building FG bows since the material is all machined flat anyways. Just my opinion

...so, then, what you're saying is, ...Board Bows = Fiberglass bows.  Hmmm....  (That should set the kindling to sparks!)

OneBow

An opinion is an opinion
I like osage

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:49 pm »
 ..... and why can't a board bow be primitive?   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:51 pm »
Look at the bows Rich builds. Most are board bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 11:50:22 pm »
Man I just like to build bows.  I think even from boards you can learn something from them most every time.  My joy is to down to the shop and smell the dust and make shavings.  Board look the same when your sweeping them up.  I just love everything about wooden bows wheat her they look primitive or very modern, which you can achieve with either board or stave.

Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2014, 12:07:23 am »
Matt, that's why we are all here. We all love it.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2014, 01:47:21 am »
I just want to mention that this bow started out as a kiln dried 2x4...Hickory...and it shoots 175-180 fps, even with a bit of set..If I had better manual dexterity, I would be making bows from staves, but arthritis prevents me from doing so....Build what you like and from what You are able......Peace Brothers
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:23 am »
Man I am getting to see some beautiful bows from this Topic. My opinion is staves or boards a selfbow is a selfbow if made from a single piece of wood, Any way that was what I was always told. I prefer staves over boards because first of all I have access to staves. I am just more comfortable knowing where the grain runs on a split stave. If I didn't have staves I would definitely use boards. You guys showing off your nice bows here take a look at this nice stave. Dean

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2014, 08:34:14 am »
Total gem there Dean.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2014, 08:44:50 am »
Very nice bows,and that is one beautiful stave. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:39 am »
Well, I haven't read every post, but it's good to see so many people agreeing on the fact that a board makes a perfectly fine bow. I like making either. I've said it before, and again...If i can shoot a critter with it, it's a good bow! ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 10:50:19 am »
That us a very nice stave.  Are you going to make that more than one nice stave.  Looks like you have room for a belly split.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:58 am »
Idaho
  I got to take another  ring or 2 off of it because I have some drying checks in the back so I think I will run out of wood for a belly split.It is wide enough to split it again but I would be taking another chance there also.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:56 pm »
That's a very nice snaky stave, Dean. Is it osage? Those thick rings remind me of mulberry. I have an osage stave similar to that but each annual ring snakes separately from the others making it almost impossible to make a successful bow from.