Author Topic: Poplar arrows for hickory backed lemonwood  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Poplar arrows for hickory backed lemonwood
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:01 pm »
I made these poplar arrows for the hickory backed lemonwood ALB I made. The arrow shafts were turned by Charlie Jefferson(Stringstretcher) and I tapered the rear 9" from 11/32" to 5/16"were. These have self nocks wrapped with sinew and a drop of TBIII used as a nock index, the fletching is put on using fletch tape and a sinew wrap at the forward end.  I colored the shafts with wood stain and sealed with two coats of Tru-Oil. The fletching are secondary flight feathers chopped by Matt Gundock(Magnus). The physical weight of the finished arrows came in at about 525 grains with the 125gr points. They shoot well from the ALB.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Poplar arrows for hickory backed lemonwood
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:00:56 pm »
Looking real good Pat.  You seem to be liking those Poplar shafts.  Hopefully in the next couple of  months I will be able (on bended knees here) to make the run from the lumber that has now been air dried for over 2 years.  Should be some good ones.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »
Pat, nice work on those poplar shafts and the use of the secondaries. I purchased 14 dz barrel tapered poplar from Don Stokes a few years ago when he was deleting all of his old stock. Best shafts I've ever used and also seem stronger than a lot of other wood shafts tried. I still like working my own bamboo and cane but they don't compare to the poplar for matched sets.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:24:28 pm »
I agree Fred. We figured that out about poplars when Charlie sent me a few to test drive. They are as tough as any doweled shafting I've ever used.  I  like making cane and hardwood shoot arrows mostly but I've really enjoyed using these poplars.
  Charlie, I really do like them and can't wait for more. You'll be back at it before you know.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:59 pm »
You sure do know how to make them Pat.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:49:56 pm »
Really nice looking arras Pat!  8)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
Love Poplar for arrow shafts. Light and Strong and durable. Have used it for years. Nice looking arrows Pat...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:48:32 pm »
Drop of glue for nock index I like that. May I use that idea?
Nice arrows by the way.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »
Thanks guys. Nothing fancy about them. just good, solid arrows. I did add a bit of cresting by hand so I won't show a close up of that.  ;D
Scottski I just put a drop of glue just forward of the nock, let it skin over for a minute then rolled the shaft over so the drop was underneath and let it cure like that. When dry it is proud and makes a good index.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »
Very nice arrows Pat! Really like the nocks and overall appearance.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 12:13:35 am »
If I overshoot the target I'll never find the arrow.  >:(  I thought about putting tracers at the nock for visibility.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:11 am »
Cool arrows Pat, very nice ,hard to beat Charlie's shafts. They been hard on deer the last few years. ;) I will have to try the index you do. I usually just mark the nock,but then I have to look. I like the index and if I am using glue on nocks I always use index nocks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
Drop of glue for nock index I like that. May I use that idea?
Nice arrows by the way.

Maybe you should ask Saxton Pope for permission on that one, or whoever he got the idea from....
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:33 pm »
Jim, I didn't realize Saxon Pope used a drop of glue as an index for his arrows. I've been doing it for years and couldn't tell you where I go the idea from.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:02 pm »
Jim, I didn't realize Saxon Pope used a drop of glue as an index for his arrows. I've been doing it for years and couldn't tell you where I go the idea from.

Now my memory is serving up a modified item: I now seem to recall that Pope and Young glued a  tiny bead on the arrow for an index. Too lazy to go look.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine