Author Topic: Dry vs "seasoned" sinew  (Read 15513 times)

blackhawk

Re: Dry vs "seasoned" sinew
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:37 am »

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:52 am »
I have built three sinew backed bows. Each has just one relatively thick layer of sinew on it.

The first two I only let dry for one week before final tillering.

The last one I let dry for 1 year because I more or less forgot about it.

I didn't notice any difference between the three.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:29 am »
I love where this is going.

Good thoughts Pauly, great personal feedback Patrick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:14 am »
I think I'll check the weight of "Lil Thumper", the 56" sinew backed osage static I recently built. I haven't shot her in over a month and it has been pretty dry here plus she in inside where our wood stove dries the air more.  I shall return...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:15 pm »
 ...just braced her up and walked down to the basement and put her on the tree, no exercising first.  Today she pulled 58.80# an increase of about 2.5# and 3# over what she was when I finished her. A few pounds difference could be explained by R/H changes.
  If you remember, I sinewed this bow during warm, very wet conditions(40" of rain in 3 months). That is why I let her rest longer after the sinewing was completed so I was sure the sinew/hide glue was dry. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:33 pm »
From all of the other responses I'm figuring I must have misunderstood the original questions ???
It sounded to me like you were asking whether or not the sinew itself needed to dry and age before attempting to use it on a bow back or other intended project?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:20 pm »
That's good info Pat. I see more info that leans towards dry being good enough.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 12:37:45 pm »
Fred, even though I've never done it I think you can use fresh sinew for bow backing. We use green(fresh) snake skins over our bow backs sometimes without problems. As long as the sinew and hide glue dry together I see no problems using fresh sinew.
 Pearlie, I think as long as the sinew/hide glue is dry and the wood has dried from absorbing moisture from the sinewing process the backing should be stable enough to be consistent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 12:45:41 pm »
Here is another tough one to chew on:

Most will tell you to wait at least 2-3 months. But the difference where Im at between June through August and December through February are two totally different animals. Both fall in the 2-3 month minimum wait time, but they vary by at least 30-40% humidity.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 01:10:41 pm »
Our R/H varies here as much also from summer to winter. Our R/H now is 30% and it is snowing and 31 degs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »
This is why composites had processes done according to the season. Much of the time was likely devoted to waiting until the next correct season came around.
 I see no difference in performance in a bow dried "enough" or cured for a year.
 Many guys on ATARN patiently wait a year and no special performances have been noted by any of those bows.
 Adam Karpowicz has made some great heavy weight bows that have been cured a long time but he also slapped together one in 6 weeks and it seemed to perform in similar fashion.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 01:21:28 pm »
We've learned from other experiences that wood dries at a rate of about 1" per year in general. I'm sure some woods dry faster than others. Has anyone done a test to see how long it takes sinew/hide glue to dry.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:18 pm »
No tests here Pat. But I check on my sinew jobs almost daily when I do one up. It seems to me if done in the proper season, after a week to ten days its hard as rock and cant be dented with a thumb nail. Not exactly scientific, I know!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:44 pm »
Kool Thread...

I've read Mr. Karpowicz's book...
In it he mentions a Sultan or some such being killed by a Bow Malfunction...
You know everyone that touched that bow in its making got A Hair Cut...

I think you had it cutting both ways.
You can't Work in a Medium for a Thousand Plus Years and Not know it Well...
Then again Technology was So Tightly Guarded by Masters and Guilds...
There was very little, if any, free exchange or comparison of ideas.

Heck coming up with a Radical New Idea very well could get you burned at the Stake...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:57:30 pm »
Look how much wood bow building info has changed just since TBBI came out. I have no doubt we could change curing time info for sinew backed bows as well with folks experimenting with the process(s), just like with wood bow building.