Author Topic: Tapered Arrows  (Read 3580 times)

Offline bow101

Tapered Arrows
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:16 pm »
I was reading an article in trad mag on tappering arrows.  He was tapering the last 9 inches of the nock end.   Apparently it helps with archers paradox and keeps the arrow from slaping the side of the bow.
Does this really help, or a waste of time..? 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tapered Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »
 A tapered arrow will recover quicker, but if it's slapping the bow it's not the right spine to begin with. I have used parallel and tapered and know for a fact the tapered will recover quicker...I have experienced my arrow smacking with both types and usually they were way under spined or brace to low. Another draw back is if you make self nocks you have less wood to work with. I used them with plastic nocks during trad years.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:58:24 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:21:58 am »
I've made a few tapered poplar arrows over the last year or so and like the way they perform. I taper the last 9". It is similar to shooting cane or hardwood shoot arrows but they both have full length tapers. It only takes a minute or 2 to taper each shaft. I go from 11/32" to 5/16" at the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:30:22 am »
tapered shafts have a really nice flat flight. im not sure about recovery and slap.
i really like the way shoot shafts fly bc..well they have a natural taper. i wish i had more shoots to make into arras sadly i do not.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:14 am »
I have been barreling My arrows, with a tapered nock end for years. I like the way they fly and have never had any issues with putting them where I want them. I not only taper, but flatten the sides so they are easier to hold on the string. I have never had one break or fly off into the unknown. I was shown this method of arrow building over 30 years ago by My Uncle Ralph Standing Bear, a prolific hunter and member of the St. Regis band of the Mohawk. Seems the style was passed to him from an Uncle, and on down the line...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:31:17 am »
A tapered arrow will recover quicker, but if it's slapping the bow it's not the right spine to begin with. I have used parallel and tapered and know for a fact the tapered will recover quicker...I have experienced my arrow smacking with both types and usually they were way under spined or brace to low. Another draw back is if you make self nocks you have less wood to work with. I used them with plastic nocks during trad years.

Exactly. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso