Author Topic: Nocking point ideas  (Read 4798 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Nocking point ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:03 pm »
I have used all the methods you guys mentioned and liked them all. But, the first time it came unraveled in the field I switched back to brass on hunting bows. I want ALL the blame on me when I screw up a shot, not my equipment. That's not to say you couldnt use dental floss wraps for 20 years with no issues.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »
My favourite method:
Make two short sevings (6-8 mm) on the servings approx where you want your nocking point,use a nail knot to finish but leave the tags a bit long.
Tighten the servings moderately so you still can twist them but not slide them on the main serving,that way you can twist them up or down like on a threading to fine tune them.
when you are happy, tighten hard cut and burn the tags and add a drop of superglue
that will outlive the string itself and look good while adding minimal weight
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »
I think using a nail knot is the trick to make it stay in place.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »
Another vote for unwaxed floss.  I'm so cheap I use "used" floss.  Clean my teeth, hang it on the towel bar to dry, then wrap it on like serving above and below the arrow.  Also wrap feathers and self nocks on arrows the same way.   ::)

Waste not want not...avoid tooth rot!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:04 pm »
My favourite method:
Make two short sevings (6-8 mm) on the servings approx where you want your nocking point,use a nail knot to finish but leave the tags a bit long.
Tighten the servings moderately so you still can twist them but not slide them on the main serving,that way you can twist them up or down like on a threading to fine tune them.
when you are happy, tighten hard cut and burn the tags and add a drop of superglue
that will outlive the string itself and look good while adding minimal weight

Sounds similar to the method I just switched too.  Using some .030 braided serving.  it makes a great nocking point.  Secure and light, but also adjustable, until you drop that dab of glue on there.  Do a search on youtube for "tying adjustable nocking point".  The video is by manoproductions and it is very well done.  I had to watch it several times while tying the knot. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
I have used unwaxed dental floss, shot it a bit then added a little glue to it making it permanent. I have also wrapped a heavy string Serving from thick linen. As you shoot it the arrow nock will compress the linen and makes it obvious where the arrow goes. I also like shooting a primitive bow with no nock area marked. Put the arrow on the string and eyeball the positions. You can get it shooting pretty good without any nock tied or otherwise on the serving.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »
I've used a second layer of serving in a different color to ID the nock point.  It's just thick enough to 'feel' the difference in the dark and in day light the color contrast makes it obvious.

OneBow