Author Topic: Sharing my first bows  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Academonicon

Sharing my first bows
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:11 pm »
I've been a member of the forum for a couple of months, and it never really occurred to me that it might be a good idea to post about my bows.
I just started bowyering about six months ago when I made a Mollegabet bow for my wife as a birthday present:

It was a 57" red oak board-bow, based on the tutorials by BoarriorBows on Youtube.  I tried starting it out with just a small four-way rasp, which got tiring incredibly quickly.  I'm not a particularly strong guy, and I also tend to be impatient as hell, so (not knowing any better) I went straight for the power tools.  I used what I had, since I couldn't afford to buy anything new: a circular saw to rough out the shape, which was an absolutely terrible tool for that task, and a rotating sander on the end of a drill for refining the shape and taking down the weight.  I've learned since then that power tools are seen by some as a no-no, but they did the trick for me.
I put a rawhide backing on it using a softened-up giant dog bone (thanks again to BoarriorBows), and wrapped the handle in black suede cord.  It pulled about 45# at 28", and 35ish# at 25" which works well for my wife.  It was an exciting first project, and naturally left me craving a bow of my own.

My second project (at least the second completed project - I broke one bow before finishing a new one) was similar: a 61" red oak board-bow, made with the same process as the first one, but unbacked and a little heavier, pulling about 50-55# at 28".  It felt great to shoot, and I loved having my own bow.

In the subsequent months, I took a couple of commissions for similar bows, and got to recoup some of the costs I'd had to pay so far.  I had a really good time, and I even started incorporating a bench plane into my arsenal - a good step in the traditional direction.

Finally I'd had enough playing around with this design, so I decided to try something different: I made a 63" pyramid bow from a maple board.  I decided also to add slightly recurved tips by a little red oak and mahogany to the back of the tips - I was too nervous about the maple to try steam-bending it, though I plan to try that next time.

As you may be able to tell, the tiller was WAY off the first time I took it out to the range.  It actually worked out okay in the end, because the draw was heavier than I wanted anyway, so I fixed both problems simultaneously.  Now it's about 50# at 28", and it shoots beautifully.  Unfortunately I'm a terrible marksman, so I don't really do the bow justice.  Probably better for everyone that I'm not a hunter.  I'd just end up wounding and pissing off a lot of wildlife.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far.  I'm really looking forward to trying new things and improving my skill as my knowledge and tool collection keep slowly growing.  I'd welcome any advice or tips that anyone might have for me.  I've read the entire Traditional Bowyer's Bible series, but I just haven't had a lot of experience, so I can use all the help I can get.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:24:22 pm by Academonicon »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Sharing my first bows
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »
All of those are nice looking bows. Looks like you're learning very quickly. Now get that right elbow down on full draw and you'll find out how accurate they are. I've been trying my own hand at this bowyering for awhile and can't say that my first ones were near as good as what you are showing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »
If you are a bad marksman, maybe hunting grizzly is something to prioritize towards the end of the list!   >:D

Yeah, the whole powertools thing can really be a bone of contention with some people.  I refuse to use band saws, detest the dang things anymore after ruining several staves by not watching closely enough.  But then I will have a bow 99% done and I will reach for my DeWalt quarter sheet random orbital sander with absolute gusto! 

Before you make your mind up on power tools, ask yourself what goals you are out to achieve.  Personally, if someone told me I would never pull another bow again in my life, I don't think I would shed a tear.  Never again releasing an arrow would not be that great a loss to me.  But tell me that the last set of handtools in the world had just been melted down to make an iPod docking station and I would be looking for a rope and a stout tree branch.  Making shavings and curls is what this is all about to me.  The soft sounds of rasping compared to the whine of a belt sander is all the difference in the world.  Do you just wanna have the bow done and shooting, or is it exploring the many intertwining paths on the way to finishing the bow? Or is it something else altogether.  It's up to you to figure out this conundrum each and every time you start a new project.

And as for the projects you have posted so far, I gotta say you seem to getting a pretty good grip on things!  I have around 200 bows under my belt and I still have yet to work up the courage to do a molle-ish build.  Good for you! 

Keep posting! I like your work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
They look like a great start! :)

I too have floating elbow syndrome, more so when the camera comes out.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »
Great job on your firsts.  They look great.  I do a mix of power and hand tools.  It works great for ME. I use a bandsaw for the really rough stuff like thickness tapers, cutting at an angle to create a peak in the center, on the belly.  Then removing that with hand tools i.e. rasp and or scraper.  I like to use the bandsaw on my front profile shape too.  At least that's how I skin cats  :o

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 04:28:54 pm »
Thanks for the tips, folks!  I didn't even know I was doing something wrong with my elbow, so I'll work on that.  As far as the tools are concerned, I supposed my goals are a combination of process and product - I really enjoy making the bows, but I also find a finished product really satisfying.  Honestly, I tend to find a job more satisfying if I've really had to put a lot of work into it, so moving in the direction of hand tools is probably the way to go - I just need to find money for a draw knife, spoke shave, cabinet scraper, hatchet/axe, etc.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »
As for scrapers they are quite easy to make.  If you have an old circular saw blade lying around, you could make one out of it.  Just cut out a rectangular shape and put a bur on the edges.  I like to round off a couple of the corners with slightly different curves.  They come in handy.  The first scraper I made was from a pull saw blade.  I took the same steps to making that one.  In the end the pull saw was not quite aggressive enough.  I keep it around for more delicate tasks.  If you have any other questions you can either PM me or just ask here ;)

Matt

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:42:51 pm »
What do you use to cut the metal into the shape you want?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »
Do you have access to a angle grinder or drimal.  If not a hacksaw and elbow grease is good too

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:46:08 pm »
On the pull saw scraper I used tin snips and agression :).

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 04:49:01 pm »
Hah!  Well, I've got a 12-week old daughter, so I've got definitely got aggression to spare.  I'll give it a try, thanks!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:18 pm »
Academonicon, My apologies for the critique on your form. I meant it as constructive and not derogatory. I find that the better my bows perform the more satisfied I am with my results. We all seem to suffer in the beginning from the flying elbow and my intentions were only to point it out for your benefit.
As I stated earlier your bow work is admirable and I hope to see more of your work as you progress.
Keep at it and enjoy!!! Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »
My 1st scrapers were a pair of scissors that broke apart.. That gave me one flat and one convex scraper and they really work well... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »
Don't worry about it, Fred!  No offense taken.  I appreciate the advice!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:25 pm »
ive noticed sometimes the cameraperson takes their time snapping ,not realizing ,,your really pulling 60# ...dang it...its always the wife too...lol   >:D
"SET" is always there !!!