Author Topic: Tiller Check  (Read 995 times)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Tiller Check
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:23 pm »
Need some tiller advice, top limb is on the right. Pulling 35 @ 20 inches. looking for 45@27      

mikekeswick

Re: Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
First thing I see is that it's short! How long is it?
As for getting 45 at 27 - you should be ok just but have you pulled it to 45# yet? If not that should be your next goal as you have very little wood to play with. The tiller looks good. Did you heat bend that deflex into the stave?
Also I'd be very careful about using your tillering board any further with this bow.
It seems to me that you are pulling the string in the center this will make your lower limb look stronger than it actual is when it comes to pulling it by hand. Your fingers will be a good way above center once an arrow is nocked and you draw this alters the leverage being applied to the lower limb compared to the forces your tillering board is putting on it. You can put a 'runner' out to the side to alter the direction you pull the string from.
So simple answer is pull it by hand from now on  ;)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:58:16 pm »
Thanks for taking a look Mike. Its 62 inches tip to tip. No, I haven't pulled it past 35 lbs  yet and it still feels pretty stout and I feel like I have plenty wood left. In spite of being very careful the deflex you see is set probably caused from getting it to low brace to soon. I was mainly concerned about the top limb. something about it just doesn't look right, just wanted some opinions before I went any farther.   

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »
I would get the outer limbs bending somemore.exercise the heck out of it between scrapes cause it's easy to come in under weight when the outers break over with this design.maybe it's me but your brace height looks really high?good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.