Author Topic: lenght of a strung 60" recurve??  (Read 1249 times)

Offline catfish john

lenght of a strung 60" recurve??
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »
I'm building my first long bow ( at least to me it's long ),, I'm used to 48"or under,,BUT,, this one is 60"long, and it seems REALLY long to me!  SO,  my question is,,How long will a 60"recurve bow be when it is strung at a 6" brace height?? I'm hoping it will seem much shorter than it does now!

Offline PatM

Re: lenght of a strung 60" recurve??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
Depends how you are actually measuring it unstrung and what sort of curves you are talking about.  Still, a 60 inch recurve is about as short as most will go with a self recurve.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »
60 inches is about the shortest I like to go lol
I like osage

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:06 pm »
Like PatM said, depends on how you  measured  it. I would think it would measure 2-4" shorter braced.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline catfish john

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:04:14 pm »
sorry guys,, I should have said, it's going to sinew backed ,, it's a slightly scaled down version of the Gansu bow that was discovered in 1999 in a 5000 year old grave site in China. The original was 63"long and sinew backed with a belly consisting of 5 strips of horn! The main working part of the limb was 3"wide!  The syias were quite long , and by most accounts, seemed as though they must have been a little flexible as well. I have done bows with horn bellies,,but I don't like the horn because,,unless the bow is at least 100 pound pull,,I find the horn makes the limbs too slow. SO,, since I don't want a 100 pound bow,, my belly is going to be maple. I will only use for target shooting, so I'm aiming for around 40 - 45 pound pull.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:10:07 pm »
since your used to shooting short bows i think you will like something a little longer for target!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »
The Gansu bow appears to only be a wooden model bow rather than a true functioning bow. There is no evidence of horn or sinew on it.
 You must be thinking of the Khotan bow.
 Your bow is really going to resemble a scaled down Mollegebet with slightly more angled levers. Not really an uncommon bow style on here.
 You can see plenty of bows that Blackhawk has made resembling this.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:59 pm »
  Your string wll be about 56 1/2" long if that helps.