Author Topic: When is the best time to cut dogwood, and how to handle after? (Cornus florida)  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Wiley

We have an abundance of these trees, most of them growing in their characteristic not straight manner, but some of them have branched out from their trunk and grown beautifully straight with no knots for around 6 feet. From what I understand this species of dogwood can make a great bow.

When is the best time to cut it where I can remove the bark most easily?

I have read it checks easily. I imagine I should seal the ends immediately after cutting, strip the bark, split, and seal the backs?

The plan in my mind is to go with a bend in the handle D bow, get it worked down to floor filler and then clamp it down to dry, possibly in a form with a small amount of reflex, and let it dry out like that. Then tiller, I plan to take it slow, utilizing the tillering gizmo, and posting pictures here to get more experienced eyes on my tiller. I plan to keep it fairly simple, using plain wooden nocks without antler or wood overlay, keeping in the primitive spirit of it being a single piece of wood and a string.

Any thoughts?

Offline WhitefeatherFout

I've only cut a few dogwood and they've all been damaged from storms or insects.  Most of what I cut was in the winter and I treated them like most other staves.  I split them, debarked them(some I left a few spots of a little bark and cambium on for a camo effect), and sealed the back and ends.  I haven't started working on them yet but they're ready and have seasoned without issue. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Treat dogwood like any other whitewood and wait until spring to cut so the bark just peels off.  I wouldn't peel the bark right away but if you do seal the back and the ends well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanR

I cut some last spring and peeled the bark within a day. It came off real easy. I sealed it the same day and so far it has not checked.