Author Topic: Ol' Buck is still flingin' arrows.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline George D. Stout

Ol' Buck is still flingin' arrows.
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:55:49 pm »
Those of you who know of Ol' Buck will know he is a lemonwood longbow from the 1940's, and has traveled over six years over the US and Canada, in the hands of about 40 different folks.   Anyway, he is still going strong...maybe a little limp, but still flinging.  Here's a few photos.  I have just made a dozen cedars for him for some spring stumping.   ;)   These are from a month ago before the two feet of snow we have now. 

On still he goes with back berond of cedar shafts with feather frond;
for him the great success you see, is not to get, but just to be,
amidst the oak and the hickory tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ol' Buck is still flingin' arrows.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:34:43 pm »
Cool old bow, George. Good to know that those old lemonwood bows still have some sting.
That one looks a lot like the hickory backed lemonwood bow I recently built.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:40:16 pm »
This one is an old York (Woodcraft Equipment Co.) out of Independence, MO.   It is backed with clarified calfskin ..... drum head material.
On still he goes with back berond of cedar shafts with feather frond;
for him the great success you see, is not to get, but just to be,
amidst the oak and the hickory tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »
I have an old lemonwood ELB style York with aluminum "horn" nocks. I contacted Woodcraft about it and the guy I talked to sent me a copy of the original catalog. My bow cost about $7 new in the late 30s or early 40s.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:22 pm »
I follow the travels of ol buck a few years ago on one of the other Trad forums.  I think maybe leatherwall.  Good it see it still flinging arras.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing the story of this wonderful piece of our hunting legacy.  I sometimes look at a bow I have finished and wonder where it will be in 5, 10, maybe 50 years down the line.  I kinda hope some kid way down the line buys it at a garage sale and strings it up to find if it still shoots....and it does.  It would be nice to have a little piece of me carried in the field long after I am gone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:48 am »
JW, that's why I sign and date all my bows. Not that I will be famous but I have a few oldies with no markings and I'd love to know the history. I have a Jay Massey bow but with no identifying marks it is only a guess and trust where it came from.