Author Topic: Salvaging A BBO Bow  (Read 1131 times)

Offline SwingsAndArrows

Salvaging A BBO Bow
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:49:39 pm »
Self Bowyers!  Some time ago I laminated a bamboo backing strip to a "D" cross sectional Osage Stave, and began floor tillering.  The bamboo itself "failed" by letting go an outer layer in a couple of sections.  The Osage is in good shape, and I have a lot of pre-tiller hours in it.  It bends nicely when I mock-floor-tiller it still.  I know the backing strip is toast, but I'm wondering:

1.  can I make that backing strip an inner lam by working it down according to formulaic tapering, and back it with something else?
or
2.  grind and sand off the entire layer of bamboo and back the Osage with either another bamboo strip or something else?

I should mention, the reason the bamboo failed is I made a rookie mistake and laminated it with the nodes down against the form...I won't do that again.

Halp!  :^)
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Offline Jesse

Re: Salvaging A BBO Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
if you used tite bond glue you might be able to just heat it up to 150 and separate the backing. Otherwise I would just sand it off and put a new backing on
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »
I have replace a bunch of failed bamboo backings. I grind the bamboo down to about 1/16" left on the back of the bow and glue a new backing strip to this thin layer of old bamboo. I was always afraid if I went all the way through the old bamboo I wouldn't have enough osage left to make poundage.

Offline SwingsAndArrows

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »
Thanks Gents!  I'll go down to a 16th and re-back it.

Mike

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:00:45 pm »
I did not know that Titebond glue would be strong enough for a bamboo backed bow ? I have an osage/bamboo bow that the osage stress cracked and checked. Maybe I can plane down the osage and salvage it..?  ???