Author Topic: stave blank dimension  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Knosaj

stave blank dimension
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »
not even sure if i am asking the right questions.

if i run down to clarks hardwoods and get a piece of hickory (or anything else) that is 6'x2"x2"

is that a good place to start from?

I am 5'8" tall

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: stave blank dimension
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »
that would be perfect.  68" long 1 3/4" wide 6" handle 2" fades and 1/2" thickness through the length of the limb.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »
Grain, grain, grain.....nothing else matters if the grain isn't straight from end to end, or awfully close to it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:35 pm »
Grain, grain, grain.....nothing else matters if the grain isn't straight from end to end, or awfully close to it.

i knew i was forgetting to mention something lol

Offline Knosaj

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »
clarks is supposed to have top grade wood. i guess the grain would be easy to see. i will certainly check it out.

thanks guys

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »
top grade wood for furniture makers and such usually arent good for bows sense people like swirly grain that looks pretty. look for quarter sawn or rift sawn boards,    lll  and /// 

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »
flat sawn is fine too, look at the grain on all four sides not just the top, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:39:57 pm »
a 7'x 2"x 2" will always be either riftsawn OR both quartersawn and flat sawn... Turn it 90 degrees, and quartersawn suddenly becomes flat sawn! The way the wood was sawn is completely irrelevant. You need to look for STRAIGHT GRAIN!
Knosaj, "guess the grain would be easy to see" might not be as simple as you think! The wood might be rough (unsurfaced) still, but most of all, reading the grain is more difficult than you might think. Don't confuse the grain of wood with the growth rings. About one in every 25 boards will be good enough to make a selfbow. If the pile of hickory does not satisfy your need for straight grain on all faces of the board, go the pile of maple, ash, elm, white oak...etc.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Knosaj

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 08:07:52 pm »
Good advice. I would have probably grabbed the best hickory not thinking to move to a different species. I'm going in the morning

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:58 am »
a 7'x 2"x 2" will always be either riftsawn OR both quartersawn and flat sawn... Turn it 90 degrees, and quartersawn suddenly becomes flat sawn! The way the wood was sawn is completely irrelevant. You need to look for STRAIGHT GRAIN!
Knosaj, "guess the grain would be easy to see" might not be as simple as you think! The wood might be rough (unsurfaced) still, but most of all, reading the grain is more difficult than you might think. Don't confuse the grain of wood with the growth rings. About one in every 25 boards will be good enough to make a selfbow. If the pile of hickory does not satisfy your need for straight grain on all faces of the board, go the pile of maple, ash, elm, white oak...etc.

+1