Author Topic: Hemp Bowstring  (Read 2783 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Hemp Bowstring
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
Now this isn't the most scientific project I've done but lately I've been using a lot of hemp for bowstrings.  Its main advantage is that it's easy to make.  It does have a tad bit of initial stretch but after bracing that is pulled out.  I had one break on me but that was because I had done something wrong.  Just keep in mind they do wear fairly quick so keep an eye on them.  It's a good natural string though.  Apparently the English used hemp?

Click picture to see video
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:44:49 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Hemp Bowstring
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:49 pm »
What thickness of hemp do you start with?

At first I did not get the picture, when it did show up it would not take me to the video
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
What thickness of hemp do you start with?

At first I did not get the picture, when it did show up it would not take me to the video
Oh wow, my bad!  It's fixed now.  I'm not sure what the thickness is but I think it says it's 20 lb test.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »
not to switch gears here..but was wondering how long your agave string lasted...thinking of trying one?.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »
not to switch gears here..but was wondering how long your agave string lasted...thinking of trying one?.
It's still shooting.  You just have to reinforce nocks and anywhere it will have friction.  Be careful with processing some species will irritate you skin.