Author Topic: Bark removal  (Read 948 times)

Don Case

Bark removal
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:53:21 pm »
Is there any bark that is easier to remove when it's dried or is it always easier to remove when green? Is there any reason for leaving bark on? As long as the bark is replaced with some kind of coating wouldn't it be better to remove the bark right away?
Thanks

Offline Scallorn

Re: Bark removal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »
When you remove bark really depends on what type of wood you're using. When using white woods like hickory, ash, elm, oak, maple, ect', You want to cut the wood while the sap is up and the bark peels easy. This will give you a flawless back for your bow without having to chase a ring. With other woods like osage, locust, mulberry, ect', where you use the heart wood and you have to chase a ring, it really doesn't matter when you peel the bark.
  Another thing. With white wood, leaving the bark on too long will result in borers eating up the wood directly under the bark forcing you to chase a ring anyway. Hope this helps.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
Easier to take off when green.
I leave the bark on all my staves.
1. Bc I'm lazy
2. Bc I don't wanna risk checking on the back
3. I usually don't feel the need to waste sealer on the back if the stave.

If I want to work in a particular stave, then I will let the stave sit for a month or two. Debark, and shellac the back. Then let the roughed out stave for another 3-6 month.
Making sure your staves are properly dry is well worth waiting.

For staves like ocean spray and purple leaf plum where the bark is left on the finished bow. I will rough out the stave after 3 months of sitting, then wait another 9-12 month to continue the bow build.

I had a purple leaf plum that took 2 yrs to dry

Probably more than you wanted to know ;)

-Pinecone
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:36:08 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »
Is there any reason for leaving bark on?  After I cut some staves/saplings I burn the ends a bit with a small blow torch this drys the ends so I can get a sealer on the ends.  I leave the bark on rather than removing it because it keeps it sealed.  In the Summer I take the peices out of the outdoor shed and leave them in the hot sun for about 2 weeks,  this really speeds the drying process, not sure is its a good idea or not..?  ???
At any rate I don't have to wait as long.  I have cut 4" Hawthorn during February and began removing bark and shaping it in late August with no further problems of checking.
That is roughly 6-7 months after been cut.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell