Author Topic: Ring Islands  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Gaust

Ring Islands
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:20 pm »
Need a little help and advise on this:  I'm working on a hackberry bow, going through final tillering slowly, and have been working around these two island rings on one limb.  The other limb has a minor island as well.  Would you recommend I scrape these down and eliminate them, or just proceed with the tillering and ignore them?  As you can see, the wood is thicker where they occur.  Wondering if they will present future failure if I leave them.  Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ring Islands
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:24 pm »
Boy that sure doesn't look like hackberry? Either way, Id leave them be. If the back dips more or for a longer section Ill follow that on the belly. Spots like that are better left flat, IMHO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
That is on the belly isn't it ? :-\ if so I would proceed, the tiller will tell you where to remove wood,if that is the back you need to get it to one ring. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gaust

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:35:29 pm »
Yes, that is the belly.  I've got the one nice growth ring on the back and I've got it silky smooth, but of course it does rise a little behind those islands.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »
Chris, yes it hackberry.  Here is pic of the log.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »
I don't pay attention to the rings on the belly side of the limbs except for the the tips if I'm flipping them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:01:37 pm »
I believed you Gaust, it just looked real yellow to me is all. Nice log of HB.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »
Then I would go ahead tillering ,sometimes with good straight grain large ring wood like hackberry you can keep things in line by keeping the island [arrow head ] right down the middle,not fool proof but a pretty good indicator of how you are doing.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gaust

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »
Chris, that's my camera settings.  Pumps up the colors and saturation.  And also trying to enhance the photos so those rings show up.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »
Not only is that sure as shooting Hackberry, it's an envy worthy log of it.  Really handy, fine wood to work with. 

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
Pearl, OO and Pappy there sure is some experienced folks there...................
Gaust sounds like you got some good advise, I'd proceed and post your progress.  :)
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gaust

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:45 am »
Thank you all who replied.  Again, this is my first self-bow and my first without a backing.  I'm tillering this bow very carefully and taking my time with it.
Hopefully I'll be able to show you something in the end.
George

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »
Agree with most everything said, however, if I have these types of Islands I will revisit those areas just to make sure the tiller is correct.  Many times it is fine even with the islands.  Sometimes they are a little stiff and I do in fact need to take them down some.  I use them as a sign post that says "Proceed With Caution".
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »
SLIMBOB, thanks, I will proceed with caution on that limb.  I noticed that the heat treatment did increase the overall draw weight, and did strengthened those island areas as well.  I hope the heat did not strengthen the belly such that it will overpower the back.  Anyway, I'm trying to tiller it back down, and those islands are something I haven't dealt with before.  But stiff, non-bending areas is where I scrape.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:33 pm »
My experience, don't worry about over powering the back on Hackberry.  It really benefits from tempering as much or maybe more than any wood I've worked.  Love Hackberry now, but the first bow I made from it took so much set it was ridiculous.  Tempering made all the difference.  It does look like Osage in the pic BTW.  Good luck with it!

Something I noticed in the pic, especially the 2nd pic, is that the limb appears to be deflexed a bit at that spot.  If so, it will appear to be bending more there if properly tillered simply because it started out with more bend at that spot.  If not just disregard, but if so your islands may be you trying for a certain shape when that shape is not optimal.  Just a thought to ponder.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:06:48 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.