Author Topic: First bow: a problem with the back  (Read 4102 times)

Offline randman

Re: First bow: a problem with the back
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 05:05:27 am »
The grain on the back looks fine enough. The problem is the grain on the side. Really bad runoff. IMHO no amount of trapping or backing with anything is going to save that one. You want the grain lines on all 4 sides to run reasonably straight down the board and this one isn't it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:42 am »
Good advice above,should work out,one thing to remember that will help you avoid this in the future is always file from back to belly,then if you do get a splinter it is on the belly,not near as much of a problem. Good luck. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:02:55 am »
Is this not exactly what people mean when they talk about selecting a board with straight grain?  I've drawn along the grain lines.

Or does the grain along the back not actually matter?  Shows what I know about board bows!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:49:15 am »
  Flip it and make that the belly side...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »
Hickory isn't indestructable. Flatsawn boards are much, much easier to read if you aren't sure you know what you're doing when selecting them.
If you really want to carry on with it i'd trap the back by about 1/4 on both edges and then back with thick rawhide.

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 02:23:34 pm »
..and this is why I don't make many self board bows. It's very difficult to get good grain on a thick enough single piece of wood. Laminate board bows are the way to go IMHO. Plus, you get to optimise your chances of success by using tension strong backing wood, and compression strong belly wood.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34:43 pm »
i think everyone reads too much into grain orientation. with hickory, if the board is quarter sawn and the grain is fairly straight then you got a good board. run offs are inevitable, you cant taper the limbs without causing a hundred different run offs, its impossible. ive never paid attention to the  grain on the side of the board. ive yet to find a perfectly straight hickory board.
now with red oak, thats a different story, im way more picky. 

Offline jojo

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 07:39:03 pm »
The grain on the back looks fine enough. The problem is the grain on the side. Really bad runoff. IMHO no amount of trapping or backing with anything is going to save that one. You want the grain lines on all 4 sides to run reasonably straight down the board and this one isn't it.

It does runoff there. Didn't see that before. I checked all edges and found that about every 20" one grain line runs off. The area you pointed out is by far the worst example and the rest of the bow runs much straighter. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I imagine that splinter area may be the weakest point.

-jojo-

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »
JoJo ... just give it a go and see what happens, doesn't take that long to fail or make a shooter...... ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline jojo

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:04 pm »
Question

Not sure if I laid this out right, sorta made it up this method. I took my board that was about 6" wide and lightly traced a single straight grain line down the board with a pencil. I measured 66" along that traced grain line and drew to tick marks for the length. I then used a long straight edge and connected those to tick marks, drawing the straight center line darker than the lightly traced grain line. That grain line hugs that straight edge center line very close.

My goal was to have a few grain lines run the entire length of the board. Is that how you guys do it too or am I making this too hard?

-jojo-

Offline jojo

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »
JoJo ... just give it a go and see what happens, doesn't take that long to fail or make a shooter...... ;)
DBar

Totally agree. Already have it superglued and still researching trapping. I think an 1/8 inch would cover the splinter but I'm not exactly sure the best way to make it even all the way down to the tip. If anyone has links let me know, I wanna give it a good honest and educated try. I'll keep posting pics of my progress in case anyone is interested.

-jojo-

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:19 pm »
Question

Not sure if I laid this out right, sorta made it up this method. I took my board that was about 6" wide and lightly traced a single straight grain line down the board with a pencil. I measured 66" along that traced grain line and drew to tick marks for the length. I then used a long straight edge and connected those to tick marks, drawing the straight center line darker than the lightly traced grain line. That grain line hugs that straight edge center line very close.

My goal was to have a few grain lines run the entire length of the board. Is that how you guys do it too or am I making this too hard?

-jojo-

your making it hard on yourself. draw straight lines. you dont need to follow the grain with boards unless they are really wavy(which you shouldnt buy in the first place). if the rest of the board has straight grain like im seeing in the pictures then theres no need.