Author Topic: Recurving help, 2nd bow!  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Zack C

Recurving help, 2nd bow!
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »
Hey guys I'm about to start my second bow I'm going to be making it out of a red oak board I selected along the specs in the bowyers bible. The first was hickory I split myself but I'm waiting till august to cut more so this is the project till then! My primary question is does anyone have any experience recurving board bows and should it be done? If so tell me your method.The specs I have drawn out are 65 in in length with a 5in grip and 1 7/8in in width fading to the tips. I'm going to sinew back it from the start to protect from splinters. Anyone see any problems with this plan? I would love all the feedback I can get.thanks,
Zack

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Recurving help, 2nd bow!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
My experience with bending red oak boards was not great, steam bending that is. But I have heard of others, and have seen bows recurved, so it can be done. I don't use a form to create my bends though, so that may have been part of the problem. I steam then just bend over my knee. I have recurved plenty other types of wood board bows though with no problems. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing this bow. Post up some progress pics for us.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Zack C

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:59 pm »
Thanks Dave, I'll do some progress pics as I get it moving. And maybe look into making a form

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:11:23 pm »
I've made several red oak board bows but never heated one.  I'm interested to see if you have any luck with it.  I'm working on one now that I wouldn't mind adding some reflex to.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Best of luck man!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:35 pm »
I have never tried to bend  red oak either but I am interested in what you find out. If you give it a try let us know how it goes.
Mark

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »
I have bent red oak with steam quite successfully. Sinew on red oak is a no no. Red oak with a hickory backing needs to be trapped. So I see sinew being way too strong. Just my two cents
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Zack C

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:50 pm »
What do you mean by trapped?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:52 pm »
Make the back slightly less wide than the belly. Sorta a trapezoid. Hence the word trap
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline VicNova

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
yes you can recurve red oak! I would reduce the ends down to 1/2" thick, boil each tip for an hour and then bend it over a form. I wouldn't bother with sinew backing, instead just make it wide and back it with burlap or nylon.

Once the tips are boiled and have dried, glue on a 1/16" thick piece of wood onto each recurve. It helps hold in the curve and makes the bow look classy. 

The recurve below is from red oak using the method described.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Zack C

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:19 am »
That's awesome, did you make your form? How should I make one if so??

Offline VicNova

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:07 am »
Yes I made my own forms. The form pictured was made from four pieces of 1/2" plywood, but you can use a 2x4. Make sure your form is wider than your bow limb so you reduce twist when you bend it over. Make two so you can leave them in to dry.

A U-bolt and some wing nuts do a superb job of securing the tip and are easily and quickly adjusted to fit a variety of limb widths.

Hope this helps, please PM me if you have any more questions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:18:10 am by Victor99 »
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:32 am »
Quote from: Blaflair2 link=topic=44983.msg608352#msg608352 date=1391565427[hr
]
I have bent red oak with steam quite successfully. Sinew on red oak is a no no. Red oak with a hickory backing needs to be trapped. So I see sinew being way too strong. Just my two cents

???  Would you care to elaborate on that 2 cents?  Sinew is to strong for red oak? :o.  How so?  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:37 am »
Sinew can go on anything. It's not "strong" in the sense of overpowering a belly at all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
yes you can recurve red oak! I would reduce the ends down to 1/2" thick, boil each tip for an hour and then bend it over a form. I wouldn't bother with sinew backing, instead just make it wide and back it with burlap or nylon.

Once the tips are boiled and have dried, glue on a 1/16" thick piece of wood onto each recurve. It helps hold in the curve and makes the bow look classy. 

The recurve below is from red oak using the method described.

Fantastic bow Victor.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:07:43 am »
Thanks PEARL DRUMS!

ZACK C,  let me know how it turns out!
Ypsilanti,  Michigan