Author Topic: Tru Oil woes...  (Read 8523 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Tru Oil woes...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:57 am »
Thanks again guys for all the wisdom, it is much appreciated! As always, I would be screwed without it,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline okie64

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »
The stuff I use is formbys tung oil finish and Im not sure exactly what ingredients are in it. Im pretty sure its not pure tung oil but it works great for me and it smells good too ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »
Same as Jamey, and I use Minwax brand. The wax I use is Johnsons paste wax in the yellow can. You can add as many coats as you want anytime. I seal with a coat or two of BE shellac first. Then a few coats of tung oil, then sign, then several more coats of tung oil. Let it dry a few days. And put as much wax on as you chose.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »
I seal with a coat or two of BE shellac first. Then a few coats of tung oil, then sign, then several more coats of tung oil.

I don't think you are using pure Tung oil. Pure Tung oil is a penetrating finish - it would not work over shellac.
Gordon

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:28 pm »
Pure tung oil is hard to find and pretty expensive. What most companies sell as tung oil is a mixture of urethane, linseed oil and mineral spirits. That should be varnish, not urethane, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:22:49 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »
I seal with a coat or two of BE shellac first. Then a few coats of tung oil, then sign, then several more coats of tung oil.

I don't think you are using pure Tung oil. Pure Tung oil is a penetrating finish - it would not work over shellac.

Yeah, the stuff I have used so far is the pure stuff, uncut, and it is basically just a thick oil finish, not a lacquer or anything. It takes a long time to cure, like weeks, and always dries to a dull matte finish.

The stuff I use is formbys tung oil finish and Im not sure exactly what ingredients are in it. Im pretty sure its not pure tung oil but it works great for me and it smells good too ;D

Welp, you sold me on the "it smells good" part, :). I will try that out for sure, I always thought it was one of those finishes that choke the crap out of you when you try to use it.

Same as Jamey, and I use Minwax brand. The wax I use is Johnsons paste wax in the yellow can. You can add as many coats as you want anytime. I seal with a coat or two of BE shellac first. Then a few coats of tung oil, then sign, then several more coats of tung oil. Let it dry a few days. And put as much wax on as you chose.

Thanks for recommendation pearl (and yes I do remember you telling me to try some like 3 other times now), I swear I will pick me up a can next time I am at home depot, lol.

So, about straining the little things outta tru oil, what should I strain it into? I am guessing I will just use a glass jar. The stuff in mine right now are so small, you can't see them until the finish is dry, and it don't look great. They're pretty small. Man, I just don't wanna pitch this big thing of tru oil, it is darn near full and cost me like 35 bucks.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 02:28:06 am »
Store your Tru-oil upside down. And your less likely to get chunks.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:46 am »
Store your Tru-oil upside down. And your less likely to get chunks.
+1
Gordon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 08:11:26 am »

No, Im not. I use Formbys and Minwax.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:19 am »
I assume that the debri in tru-oil is the hardeners that have been exposed to air.. I hand rub mine on so i can feel those chunks you wont notice with a rag... That bein said, I recently tried the shellac 1st then tung oil and i love it. It is a satin like finish but seems to get glossy with more coats and rubbing with a clean cloth. I havent tried the paste wax yet tho.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Don Case

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 01:15:46 pm »
I use a tea strainer to screen out chunks. It's only about 3" diameter so you can't do large amounts but it gets all the crap out. I've used it to strain the paint for an airbrush so it's pretty fine.