Author Topic: Quarter Sawn ERC log...  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Quarter Sawn ERC log...
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:35 pm »
So, I had an ERC log that I hope to use for belly LAMs on a few bows.  Some parts of it were pretty straight running, ...but others were typical ERC and full of knots.  I'm pretty sure a goodly chunck of this log will wind up in my outdoor firepit this spring.   ...but a LOT of it looks promising.  It's been seasoning in my storage barn for about a year.  The end grain MC measured out at 8% but when tested at a freshly sawn knot, the meter showed 11%.  I figured I'd let it stabilize a bit and then test again.

After they finish drying up the rest of the way, I'm thinking to back some these 5/8ths Quarter Sawn boards with a tension strong partner LAM like Hickory, Oak, or Bamboo.

OneBow

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Quarter Sawn ERC log...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:17 pm »
I was gonna say split it.... it will follow the grain better...
lol
That is a nice piece.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:12:21 pm »
Nice haul Onebow, very nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:16 pm »
Some nice looking cedar!  Wish I knew someone with a saw like that!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »
Very cool! Look up bows by Dave Johnson if you want some inspiration on backed cedar bows, I think he uses bamboo.
Springfield, MO

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:00 am »
Hard to tell size looking at pics.did all that lumber come from that one log? Some great projects there.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:42:13 am »
Hard to tell size looking at pics.did all that lumber come from that one log? Some great projects there.

One and a half so to speak.  It is all from one tree.  The first 7 plus feet were cut as one length, ...and then the top half of the log, about 4 feet of it, were cut as a second.  It was all quarter sawn, which would have taken me days to figure out, but my buddy does a lot of it and made it look easy.  He has a humongous 10 horse motor on that saw and it cut thru the cedar like warm butter.

The stack shown here is minus all the culled out stuff that went into my firewood bin.

The shop smells AWESOME right now while that wood is drying by-the-way...

OneBow

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
Boy howdy thats a smell I never get enough of.

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »
Wauuuu ,very nice